Installing new 1/2" Valve into old tank.... questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I think we need a BFW on this too (Big Freaking Wrench)

Am I missing anything?

Just so you know....(many shops get this wrong as they don't deal with 1/2" taper valves as much these days)...

If the valve does not have specific wrench flats, always place the jaws of the wrench across the regulator yoke interface. Use the largest wrench you can find with jaws that are wide enough to cover the interface (o-ringed) surface. Do not place the jaws of the wrench on the sides of the valve as you chance bending the rim of the o-ring channel, damaging the regulator interface. It seems counterintuitive to have the jaw of a wrench on the surface you don't want to damage, but you want the jaw flat on the interface.

Exactly what Duckbill said. A BFW like a 20" adjustable Crescent wrench or better yet a large "Monkey" wrench. Monkey wrenches are not common today but flea markets are a good place to find one. It is what I use on pipe thread valves.

Monkey wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom