Insta Buddy or Rent a Friend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drobertsca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry for the topic spam. I guess I should have just put it all in one post.

Heading to Morehead City but I don't have a dive buddy. Olympus will go ahead and insta buddy me, but I was considering paying for a DM or guide instead.

I'm guessing that most people heading out on Olympus' off shore charters are competent divers, so an insta buddy should be fine. But maybe paying for a guide is worth the insurance. Heck, I might even be the insta buddy from hell with my 100 cf rental if I'm paired with the guy with the double 130's. Might put my mind at ease knowing I'll only be ruining the dive of the guy I'm paying to be my friend for the week :)

Any opinions? Anybody else happen to be going diving with Olympus August 1 - 6?

I've been on several charters and have not had a 'bad' intabuddy. There were some that were real new, and some very experienced. Conversation up front with the buddy helps a lot with expectations. The guide, on the other hand, might be worth it if he/she were to show you things you might miss with a regular buddy. Just my 2 cents, of course.

Those are pretty easy dives and a "buddy" is never far away and easy to see. Save your money and go with the insta buddy.

DRobertca- if you feel comfortable, an instabuddy on an offshore Morehead trip should be fine, but definitely discuss the terms with the buddy. They may, or may not want to ascend at the same time as you, instead just pointing out the anchor line...Having DM'd in Morehead, it can be very easy on a good day with experienced divers. It can also become challenging, to say the least. All depends on the weather and the Gulf Stream and your experience level. Make sure you have safety equipment- SMB/Marker?Noise Maker, a runtime plan, and a wreck reel wouldn't hurt- depending conditions and the wreck. Listen to the briefing, ask questions, and you will have a great time.
-J

I would actually make the assumption that Olympus tends to have more divers with less experience and more who are less familiar with NC offshore diving than many of the other outfits. They run bigger boats than most and are probably more likely to inquire about your diving plans than the other ops who pretty much leave it up to you. With that being said, they certainly run a very safe operation.

I'd probably save the money and go with an insta buddy unless you just need that extra margin of safety. Have a good dive plan and follow it. I am diving nearly every weekend and might be able to swing some dives with you on the weekend, by which time you will be one of us, but I don't know quite yet. Please heed the advice about safety equipment and stay on the anchor line. I think it was last year that some genius came up off the line and his smb was in his bag on the boat. He was lucky, they found him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom