Inspection of failed Zoop come back as Normal!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just from reading this thread, I would assume the reason is that given the Suunto record for failures, when they tested it and it failed to give the proper depth, it had behaved as expected.

You're assuming the "proper" depth shown by their well-calibrated reference depth gauge is different from what the computer in question shows. Just as OP assumes depth shown by the well-calibrated properly maintained computer in their rental console was showing the "proper" depth while the computer in question was not.

Just from reading this thread, I would assume the reason is that given the Suunto record for failures, when they tested it and it failed to give the proper depth, it had behaved as expected.
Haha... you are funny!
In the following up email, they said “We tested your Zoop in a controlled dive chamber to 100 ft. While doing this we compare your unit against the chambers analogue gauge and other computers. Yours performed as we would expect.”

3 years ago for my O/W course used the LDS zoop. I was in Bonaire last April and rented a Zoop from the LDS for my first night dive. In my pre-dive inspection I checked for the zoop backlit light and it was fine

The Zoop doesn't have a backlight, you shine your light on it for a few seconds and it will glow. The Zoop Novo which was just released 3 years ago does. Perhaps you had the original? To tell them apart the Original has 3 buttons, the NOVO 4 buttons.

Not quite: they are published but how do you think this translates into actual workings of an actual suunto vyper:
So what you are saying is that the algorithm is not known to the the public. That was my point.

So what you are saying is that the algorithm is not known to the the public. That was my point.
Which algorithms have you modelled for yourself? Is the planning software not enough?

I find that there is no practical difference between my Suuntos and my Shearwaters. Having said that I rarely do extremely short (less than an hour) surface intervals.

Sara 101, we have two water pressure chambers and can simulate any profile up to a depth of 300 feet. I would suggest first our the standard immersion profile, that is linear descent to 160 feet, two minutes at that 160 feet and then slowly bringing the Zoop back to the surface avoiding going into deco. Afterward, we can repeat the same diving profile but this time maintaining the computer at 160 feet for 10 minutes, to force it into deco and observe the mandatory deco stops, As somebody suggested, we can even repeat the second dive profile but this time violating the mandatory deco stop and "bending" the computer on purpose which should lock the algorithm for 24 or 48 hours. Additionally, during all the test dives we would constantly monitor the depth reading on your computer against the calibrated chamber pressure gage. Check our website: www.divewatchdoctor.com

Sara 101, we have two water pressure chambers and can simulate any profile up to a depth of 300 feet. I would suggest first our the standard immersion profile, that is linear descent to 160 feet, two minutes at that 160 feet and then slowly bringing the Zoop back to the surface avoiding going into deco. Afterward, we can repeat the same diving profile but this time maintaining the computer at 160 feet for 10 minutes, to force it into deco and observe the mandatory deco stops, As somebody suggested, we can even repeat the second dive profile but this time violating the mandatory deco stop and "bending" the computer on purpose which should lock the algorithm for 24 or 48 hours. Additionally, during all the test dives we would constantly monitor the depth reading on your computer against the calibrated chamber pressure gage. Check our website: www.divewatchdoctor.com
Thank You for your info! Suunto’s service center agrees to test it again then they disappeared. I am going to wait a few more days and see what happens.

Sara101, Divewatchdoctor is in no way related to Suunto. The tests we suggested for your Zoop (before you throw it away) would be reported directly to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom