Inspecting a used Coltri - What to look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cadmus

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I will be inspecting a used Coltri for sale localy. It looks like a MCH6 from the photos. I can not see a model number or year. It is younger than the internet because the label says only "COLTRI AMERICAS www.coltriamericas.com HIGH PRESSURE AIR COMPRESSOR SYSTEM"

What are key things to inspect when looking at this product. The Honda engine might not run but I do not care, I can inspect and repair motors and I have many electric and gas in my shop that would work. I am concerned about the compressor. What do I look for? Those of you with Coltris, what are the common issues. Many thanks, Pete and Fam

Hello, I will be inspecting a used Coltri for sale localy. It looks like a MCH6 from the photos. I can not see a model number or year. It is younger than the internet because the label says only "COLTRI AMERICAS www.coltriamericas.com HIGH PRESSURE AIR COMPRESSOR SYSTEM"

What are key things to inspect when looking at this product. The Honda engine might not run but I do not care, I can inspect and repair motors and I have many electric and gas in my shop that would work. I am concerned about the compressor. What do I look for? Those of you with Coltris, what are the common issues. Many thanks, Pete and Fam
The gas powered ones dont have hour meters so the only thing you can do is run it and see if the fill rate is accurate. If not, its worn out the rings or has leaky valves and needs an overhaul. Parts for that are available. In theory you can do it yourself. In practice if it needs an overhaul its barely worth anything on the used market.

There should be a badge on the frame with the model, serial number and year built. Nuvair in Oxnard Cal. is a US distributor for parts, sales and service. I've had great support from them in the past.

Thanks for the help on this.
I opted to not bite. I saw metallic spray-paint on locations that likely need to stay bare for thermal transfer reasons. It had a different filter on it; was used by a fire department not for SCUBA. No way to test pressure or fill time. Even at $500 it was risky when i added up possible parts at nuvair. But it looked in great shape and did run. Hard decision. Too many projects now to take on a new one.

Thanks for your responses and I would love more in the years to come as this WILL be on my ToDo list.

$500 and looked in great shape and ran and you still passed?
yeah agree, not going to get much better than that

Back
Top Bottom