Inside the forward machinery space of the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall correctly, they relied on the existing line at the time and hung strobes along the route.

That is what I have read and heard also. Using single AL 80's in an overhead environment at those depths was a recipe for tragedy.

Who laid that line? If I recall correctly, they relied on the existing line at the time and hung strobes along the route. Line broke and the rest is history. (Using a single AL80 with 28% and leaving a stage outside the wreck played some 'small' role too).

Most likely that was the big role, more air you have more time to find the exit, not even to mention if they have a regulator failure, going down to 140' not so bad, at least they shall had a pony with them, entering the wreck was their first mistake and biggest mistake, it is sad what happen but they didn't stick to the minimum requirement's and paid the ultimate price, I didn't know about that passing in that wreck.

Very nice Jim, thanks for posting. A few questions, what light(s) were you using; and what size doubles were you diving?

I'll see you in February. We are bringing a large group down from Southern Maryland to dive with RR. I'm teaching sidemount and deep so hope to get to the Spiegel Grove on our last day. No penetration though, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Jon

I was using a Dive Rite @Diverite handheld as a primary light - video light was a BigBlue 3 watt video light.

Aluminum doubles 80's

Jim, do you ever run guided dives in the Spiegel for qualified divers?

Yes I do & I sure enjoy doing them.

Oh great. What is the best way to get in touch with you?

A buddy and I are coming down in a couple weeks (both full cave/adv wreck) and would love to set something up with you.

Just PM me here ---

Back
Top Bottom