Input on OMS Slipstream Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triple333

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im considering buying these fins. Anybody here owns one or tried it out? Is it heavy to kick? Hows the power? how do they compare to scubapro jetfins? All i know is that its way lighter the the jetfin. I need reviews please before i buy them. Thanks!

About a month ago I upgraded to a DUI drysuit. Suddenly my Scubapro JetFins (XL) wouldn't fit into my size 10 Rock Boots. It was a bummer because I loved those fins. They provided excellent power and were slightly negative which helped offset some of the trim problems I had with my old, oversized dry suit.

My LDS owner, a friend and I went diving one day to let me try some new fin options in a XXL size. He recommended either the OMS SlipStream or the Turtle. At 60 feet I was unceremoniously shoved into the silt where my ScubaPros were (literally) pried from my feet. First I was given the SlipStreams. I used them for about 15 minutes then switched again (much easier this time with a proper fitting fin) to the Turtles. I used them for another 15.

There was no contest - the OMS SlipStreams blew both my existing fins and the Turtles. First, the SlipStream is a neutrally buoyant fin unlike my JetFins. With my proper fitting drysuit I no longer need the "weight" of the ScubaPro fin to keep my body in trim. Second, like my JetFins the SlipStream actually provides power with each kick. I really did feel like a Turtle when I wore those fins, always being the slowest guy in the group despite the fact that I was finning the most (something I was not used to with my Jets).

After the dive I ordered myself a set of SlipStreams. Unfortunately they were back ordered so my LDS loaned me a set of Turtles they had so I wouldn't have to jam my JetFins on and dive in pain. I wore the Turtles for about 10 dives and hated them on every one. Especially when I'd cramp up towards the end of a dive if there was particularly strong current. Did I mention I dive in the St. Lawrence River?

Last week the SlipStreams arrived and the few dives I've put on them were wonderful. I'm back to very few fin kicks for very large thrust.

Anyway, after having a great deal of experience with the ScubaPro JetFins, the Turtles and SlipStreams I'd have to say I'm happiest with the OMS fins.

I own 3 pair. There is no doubt they are the best fins in the world. They steer very well and you have the blade area to move out when you need it.

I love mine.. I use them in high flow cave systems and they are great, lots of power when you need it.

Thanks a lot guys! Is it easy to kick? Not so heavy on the legs? Good for flatter and frog?

Thanks a lot guys! Is it easy to kick? Not so heavy on the legs? Good for flatter and frog?

It improved my frog kick to the point my sac rate improved.

Love mine, have nothing bad to say about them. Depending on your leg strength, they should be easy to kick. I have no problems kicking these fins. If you buy them and don't like them, don't worry you shouldn't have a hard time selling them :D

I had jets and went to the slipstream. I love mine and as an added bonus they are great to travel with 2 slipstreams weights about the same as one jet.

Back
Top Bottom