Innovative Spring Straps???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I converted my Sherwood Apex fins to spring staps a few months back. Love it. Easy on and off and the spring is more durable than the old straps were, less worry about it breaking, although at some point it will I guess.

I should point out I made my own spring staps. Go to the hardware store or boat supply store and buy marine grade springs and hardware.

There is another internet dealer selling them for $25.00 or so, and frankly, I like his design better.

crlavoie:
They look pretty straight forward. Anyobody out there using them with any opinions... good or bad?

http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp
Yep, you'r right, they are pretty straight forward. I use these straps on my Turtle Fins for dry suit diving. I have a Halcyons on my Jet Fins for wet suit diving.

The hardest part is getting the exact right size. Since these are not adjustable over a large size range you need to get the size that is closest to perfect. In my case I guessed correctly on the Jet Fin spring straps, but needed to exchange sizes for the Turtles. If you are getting them shipped to you, be prepared to do the shipping dance, if you get them at a shop live and in person take your fins, booties, drysuit, dry suit socks, and whatever else will effect the fit with you to make sure the size is perfect. If you get them too loose your fins will be floppy, if you get them too tight your feet will be extremely uncomfortable.

Mark Vlahos

pasley:
There is another internet dealer selling them for $25.00 or so, and frankly, I like his design better.
Care to share?

I'd buy the Innovative ones, as I'm most interested in easy on-off and like the tabs, but it looks like the smallest size is too long for me. I may wind up making them but I'd rather just buy them.

I have what the website refers to as the "Pro All Stainless Version" on my Volo Powers which isn't exactly what you are looking for. However, i just wanted to point out that i love the pull-loop which makes donning/doffing extremely easy, and that's a feature that you probably wouldn't be able to incorporate if you go the DIY route. Other than that, all the various designs seem pretty much the same. I was also very lucky with the size, they hold my boots steady but not too tight.

Some of the commercial models have nice molded jobs. Some people need something to grab onto, various gripping problems such as arthritis. I don't have any way to make or get anything like that, but I did cook up a way to make something to serve the purpose using braided nylon line.

Pics came out bad, but you still can see:

pulltab1.jpg

pulltab2.jpg

This was simply an experiment on one of my fins. I removed it, as I don't need it. Any that I make for someone else to use will have the ends of the line trimmed closely.

Anyway, they're simple to make so anyone who has straps without anything could easily add these to them. You just need some 1/8 inch braided nylon line & know how to tie a double constrictor knot.

I donno, maybe it's just me, but the thing I find so great about spring straps is their simplicity - just a spring in a tube. So why do people keep trying to add stuff to make them back into regular straps? I have absolutely no problem donning the straight-forward, no frills version with thick cold-water dry gloves. For me (YMMV!) the strings and pulls and flaps and junk just destroy the perfectly basic concept that makes these things so great in the first place.

MINE

Before you know it they'll be attaching a safe second and a spare air to the things...

Rick, I take it you don't have any serious gripping problems like arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome?

People who do, need something to get ahold of. My wife, for example.

Wayward Son:
Rick, I take it you don't have any serious gripping problems like arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome?

People who do, need something to get ahold of. My wife, for example.
Not yet. But all this ScubaBoard posting could do it! :D

Yeah, which is why I said, YMMV. Not referring to you, sir, but in general the manufactures of spring straps feeling like people won't buy their gear unless they dress it up with useless stuff.

Back
Top Bottom