Inner tube, bungee, o-rings or EPDM for harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use bike tire inner tube to hold the backup lights nice and tidy. As you're re-rigging your plate I would string fiveish of them per side/shoulder strap as they do break and it's kind of a pain to take apart your webbing and re-rig. Last time I had to replace all my inner tube loops (which was actually recently) I was actually able to slide the inner tube over all the drings and triglides and under the holes in the backplate rather than take it apart and re-rig it, but that was also a pain.

Inner tube. 1" pieces work with molle pouches, too, though you may have to do something to keep them from sliding around. On the inflator hose, I've a bolt-snap tied with bungee cord, to clip it to the d-ring.

I used to use inner tube for the backup lights, and a bungee loop for the inflator - but I see people using EPDM rubber bands, o-rings for the inflator etc. Any reason to change from the tried and tested?

No.

I cut all the crappy bicycle inner tube bands off my premium brand BP. They were sloppily cut, obviously cheap and I knew they weren't going to last.

I think they were intended to make me feel like I was Sheck's understudy, cobbling together my cave kit in the back shed under poor lighting, reveling in the glory of my resourcefulness.

In contrast, I thought they were a cheap tactic akin to an over-priced Martha Stewart piece of furniture made to look "distressed" and "vintage".

I replaced them with nice, resilient, uniformly-produced EPDM Snoopy loops from DGX or DIR Direct.

My BP came with a nice O-ring for the inflator hose. When it goes, I'll replace it with some similarly-gauged bungee.

I don't mean to sound like a contrarian but I don't find it that tedious to unthread and re-thread my DIR harness. I like to see how everything's wearing.

Thought this was worth sharing...

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom