Inner tube, bungee, o-rings or EPDM for harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Rigging my backplate harness up for the first time in several years - what are people using to retain their backup lights and inflator these days?

I used to use inner tube for the backup lights, and a bungee loop for the inflator - but I see people using EPDM rubber bands, o-rings for the inflator etc.

Any reason to change from the tried and tested?

I use inner tube bands for back up lights and bungees for inflators, also.

DW

As a retainer for my inflator, I use length of 1/8th inch bungee cord tied into a loop using double fisherman's knots. This is retained by a tri-glide/belt stop along with a D-ring on my left shoulder straps.

For lights, I cut rings from a mountain bike inner tube and cut a slit in them about half way around, I use these as retainers to hold bungee loops in position on my shoulder straps. The bungee loops act as keepers for the torches and make it possible to reposition the keeper along the length of the shoulder strap as desired.

Because it is a hassle to unthread/rethread the harness webbing through the buckle, d-ring/slides just to replace one of the inner tube rings, I have a couple of extra pieces of inner tube slid on my shoulder straps as a ready replacement should one of the ones is use break, which is rare.

I think the EPDM bands are a slightly cleaner look but they are more expensive as a popped inner tube can be obtained free from a local bike shop.

My recommendation is to put a couple of each, inner tube/epdm/o-ring/bungee on each shoulder strap of your harness and test each for which one works better for you. None of the options are very expensive, unused they will be unobtrusive, and when you decide which style you want to use you can just cut off the others.

-Z

For the corrugated inflator hose I use a bungee loop and for the LP inflator hose I use the two EPDM bands on the inflator hose that both of my wings came with. I don’t mount my backup light (when I carry one) on my harness shoulder straps.

Using Inner Tube or EPDM (when inner tube breaks) for backup lights. Bungee for the inflator hose.

Bungee, or some thick, heavy duty o´rings from local "rubber store" that i´ve found, inner tubes are great too
I personally don´t like surgical tubbing, but it's OK, a lot of friends use

As a retainer for my inflator, I use length of 1/8th inch bungee cord tied into a loop using double fisherman's knots. This is retained by a tri-glide/belt stop along with a D-ring on my left shoulder straps.

For lights, I cut rings from a mountain bike inner tube and cut a slit in them about half way around, I use these as retainers to hold bungee loops in position on my shoulder straps. The bungee loops act as keepers for the torches and make it possible to reposition the keeper along the length of the shoulder strap as desired.

Because it is a hassle to unthread/rethread the harness webbing through the buckle, d-ring/slides just to replace one of the inner tube rings, I have a couple of extra pieces of inner tube slid on my shoulder straps as a ready replacement should one of the ones is use break, which is rare.

I think the EPDM bands are a slightly cleaner look but they are more expensive as a popped inner tube can be obtained free from a local bike shop.

My recommendation is to put a couple of each, inner tube/epdm/o-ring/bungee on each shoulder strap of your harness and test each for which one works better for you. None of the options are very expensive, unused they will be unobtrusive, and when you decide which style you want to use you can just cut off the others.

-Z
Definitely a good idea to have an extra EPDM/Inner tube retainers on the shoulder straps in case one breaks during a dive, but you do not need to unthread the harness to add retainers, you can work them along the webbing and through the slits in the backplate easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom