Inhaled water, should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h0gfish

New
Reaction score
About 45 minutes ago I was practicing diving in a pool, came up, and caught a moutful of water on a deep breath in. I coughed a little up, but definitely not all of it. As I didn't immediately feel anything, I didn't worry and I did a few laps. But now my chest kind of hurts and feels heavy when breathing. The left side of my chest feels a little heavy even when not taking in a deep breath.

Has anybody had this problem before? Do I need to go to a doctor? All that I've found on google is just links to one story in 2008 about some kid that died 2 hours after breathing in pool water :/

SEE A DOCTOR! ASAP Just to be on the safe side, why risk it?
Dry drowning or secondary drowning is a possibility if you did in fact inhale water. If you have someone to watch over you or take you to the hospital then get them over to you.

Next best thing: For instant support, call DAN. They will probably have better input on this issue at the very least.
1-800-446-2671
- Non-Medical Emergency DAN Hotline

Please update us on the result.

Hmmm. Someone establishes an account here on ScubaBoard for the sole purpose to ask about what he/she should do after inhaling some swimming pool water 45 minutes ago.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't trust the handling of potentially serious emergent medical issues with a bunch of people I don't know and who may not possess the proper credentials to be knowledgeable on the subject.

There's really only one "safe" answer to the OP's query (assuming it's a legitimate one): If you think you might need medical attention, see a medical professional. For many people, that means a trip to the ER for evaluation of the emergent issue (history, physical exam, diagnostic tests).

SEE A DOCTOR! ASAP Just to be on the safe side, why risk it?
Dry drowning or secondary drowning is a possibility if you did in fact inhale water. If you have someone to watch over you or take you to the hospital then get them over to you.

Next best thing: For instant support, call DAN. They will probably have better input on this issue at the very least.
1-800-446-2671 - Non-Medical Emergency DAN Hotline

Please update us on the result.
If this is a real concern, call the hotline - available 24/7, accepts collect calls: 1-919-684-9111

The non-emergency number is for less pressing issues, and will not answer until Monday.

I have no knowledge about the described symptoms.

So what happened? Did you go to the ER?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom