Infuriating (to me) scuba scene in a car commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's marketing. Shows the illusion of what you think buying this new car is going to do. Mental games. In reality it will get your butt to and from work daily and have nothing to do with actually doing anything adventurous or fun. Working 6 days a week to make that car payment.
IDK, my new to me Expedition has already taken me on a ton of amazing adventures and fun! Most of the miles I have on it already this year are from fun/adventure. I specifically bought it for its adventure capability.

As far as regulators mounted backwards are concerned, I remember diving in the Azores 2 years ago, with a British guy, BSAC certified, who mounted his first stage that way.

Seeing my surprise, he told me it was standard BSAC procedures. We dived only once together so I've never figured he was kidding or not. Has anybody here BSAC experience and can confirm or not ?
Ive seen that a few times also. doing that with a din reg gives you more room to tilt your head back when the tank is worn high. Not common bit it works fine until the perspective is limited to cave dives. When I see this it is with short divers and tall tanks.

Joking apart, what's really wrong in the selection of subjects is that they are two slim young millennials with enough money to buy a car and dive (probably representative of 0.5% of all divers). The regular diving crowd is quite skewed toward old, overweight and at-high-risk-for-Covid, I am afraid.
You can sell a young man’s car to an old man; you can’t sell an old man’s car to a young man. Same goes for watches.

He was probably confused by the rental gear. Octo generally routes to the left for BSAC (no idea if a standard). I guess if someone is faced with unfamiliar routing of it on the right they could think to rotate the first stage to have yellow on the left - at the expense of all else

I set up my yellow hose to come out of the low-pressure left port of my 1st stage regulator, routed under my left arm and clipped the octopus on my left chest D-ring. I practice buddy out of air (OOA) emergency air sharing with my dive buddy during the 1st dive (checkout dive) of a dive trip, by him looking straight at me, showing his OOA sign (knife hand across his neck), having his primary 2nd-stage regulator off his mouth at depth and me pulling the octopus off my left chest D-ring with my left hand, purging air off its mouthpiece and shove it to his mouth.

With this set up, the yellow hose makes a nice half circle loop from my 1st stage to his mouth. If the yellow hose is coming from the right side of my 1st-stage regulator and routed under my right arm, the hose would make an S shape by the time the octopus get on to his mouth or got turned upside down and may lead to a free flow situation that had caused some panic and drowning accident in the past.

Oh, dear god. I paused this scene from a car commercial to get a closer look at this couple and their dive gear, and what I see makes me twitch.
To top off this horrorshow, the tiny disclaimer at screen bottom reads, "Experienced people shown. Do not attempt." Pfffft. More like "These utterly clueless models are about to die horribly. Do not attempt."

Your SAC rate will improve if you "twitch" less over such stuff.

I assumed the marketing strategy of the advertiser was directed at their core demographic. Regrettably, this would be incompetent people with a death wish... :)

She looks to be carrying her fins in her right hand. He seems not to be carrying any fins? If he were wearing them, he'd have to walk backwards as we often do?

whatever. Let's call it "artistic license", eh?

Yeah, I would like to see more divers of color. Something we can work on if we try. Ditto sailing and skiing ("I'll take sports white people like beginning with 'S', for $800, Alex")...

We've got a new community sailing center here in New Orleans, I'm happy to see our first four students (high school age) are two white, two black, I'm a volunteer helping with instruction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom