Information regarding a "new to me" reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJackson60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all. I just received a used reg set from a guy who is out of diving and is getting rid of his old equipment. The set consists of an Aqua-lung Con Shelf 20 1st stage #4819333, an Aqualung Con Shelf 2nd stage #3822108, and a Dacor Pacer Aero octo 3c170320. Are these regs any good? I dive Lake Michigan mostly and do not exceed 130'. Is this reg set up to that? I have heard that some Dacor products are very difficult to get parts for now. Does that apply to the Pacer Aero as well? Your input is much appreciated.

No, the conshelfs suck, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. :D

You might find some parts for the Dacor, I really don't know. You could look for a used SP 109 that would go very well with your conshelf; probably using it as your primary 2nd stage, then the conshelf 2nd as your alternate. The conshelf first stage is one of the most successful and classic designs in scuba history. I assume your conshelf 2nd stage is all metal?

Almost certainly someone will chime in saying that you need a sealed reg for Lake Michigan, but unless your water temp is 40F or so, I think you'll find the old conshelf 1st paired with metal 2nds is very freeze resistant.

Reactions: Jax
The conshelf first stage is one of the most successful and classic designs in scuba history. I assume your conshelf 2nd stage is all metal?

Almost certainly someone will chime in saying that you need a sealed reg for Lake Michigan, but unless your water temp is 40F or so, I think you'll find the old conshelf 1st paired with metal 2nds is very freeze resistant.

Thanks for responses Halocline! 1st stage IS sealed. 2nd stage has a plastic body. Does that make this a less desirable reg for great lakes diving? What makes the SP 109 better than the A-Lung 2nd? Just curious.

Sounds like a Conshelf 20 Supreme.....the Supreme part goes with the environmental seal.
It's basically a brushed chrome version of the 14 1st stage but with the plastic 2nd stage.

I've only good to say about both stages....I actually quite like the plastic 2nd, prefer the metal, but the plastic ones are as good as any other plastic regulator and better than most.

The Aero is an fine to okay reg. The seat is a bit tricky to source as it's thicker than most and the spring weakens with time and it can be difficult to get it to lock up and not have the lever rattle.

Thanks for the feed back on this reg set. Seems like they are more than adequate for the type of diving I am doing. A follow up question regarding hoses. I believe the hoses on these regs are original circa 1980's. Should they be replaced because of age? I do not see any signs of cracking or splitting or any indications that they have been kinked. What do you think?

Thanks for the feed back on this reg set. Seems like they are more than adequate for the type of diving I am doing. A follow up question regarding hoses. I believe the hoses on these regs are original circa 1980's. Should they be replaced because of age? I do not see any signs of cracking or splitting or any indications that they have been kinked. What do you think?

That is up to you. I have USD Aquarius and Conshelf regs from the '70s and they all have their original hoses and are still fine.

Certainly you want to replace the hose o-rings if that hasn't been done. Then you can pressurize the reg, put the reg/tank in a tub, and bend the hoses a bit at the joints to inspect for any small leaks. If you do want to replace them, it's a good time to think about hose routing and ideal hose length. That makes a huge difference in dive comfort. There are lots of threads about hose routing...check them out. I far prefer the 5ft primary/24" alternate-on-a-bungie necklace arrangement.

My Conshelf 21 and Pacer Aero served me for over 20 years and over 700 hundreds of dives. I still have the Aero, however, the Conshelf died after dropping a weight belt on it. Still have, and use, two of the Aqualung first stages. I keep the Aero for a backup. I always thought it breathed a bit heavy... too much resistance.

Back
Top Bottom