Looking for advice on new reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2MADAKAT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Eight or nine years ago, I bought a Cyklon 5000 because I had a great experience with my very first reg, which was a Cyklon 300 from 1979. I hate to say it, but I am sorry I bought the 5000, because I have been having a free flow problem on the reg, and it is really hard to find a dive shop near me that can service it.
I have been looking at a new reg, and an out of town dive shop recommended the Aqualung Core Supreme for my recreational needs.
The reg seems good, but I will also need to get an octopus. I have an older Dacor Pacer Aero, that I am wondering if: 1) it will work with the pressure the Core works at
2) is it serviceable as Dacor is long out of business
3) should I just get another Core for an Octopus
4) I have a US Divers Micra octopus, would it be a better fit and is it serviceable
I appreciate any suggestions, as the fellow helping me is very knowledgeable, but I need some other advice.
I had taken a Conshelf SE2 in to be serviced, and he told me to hang it up as I won't find a shop in Ontario that would take it on. Parts are nearly impossible to get I was told.
Thanks in advance.

Shops here will not service Dacor not sure about there.

The Core supreme is a very solid reg.

I hate to say it, but I am sorry I bought the 5000, because I have been having a free flow problem on the reg, and it is really hard to find a dive shop near me that can service it.

I have been looking at a new reg, and an out of town dive shop recommended the Aqualung Core Supreme for my recreational needs.
If you want something that can be serviced locally, you should be looking at what your local shops are best at servicing.

If it doesn't matter, then post here and ask for recommendations for a Poseidon tech and send your Cyklon off to be correctly serviced and tuned.

If you want something that can be serviced locally, you should be looking at what your local shops are best at servicing.

If it doesn't matter, then post here and ask for recommendations for a Poseidon tech and send your Cyklon off to be correctly serviced and tuned.
The nearest dive shop is an hour away. I found a dive shop three hours away, but Covid messed that up with the closure of non-essential businesses last year and early this year.

OP, I have been a long time user of the Titan LX Supreme which morphed into the Core Supreme, they are very much the same regulators with minor improvements, mostly cosmetic. I just bought a new Core Supreme and the matching octopus. The Core is an excellent regulator with superior performance and simple, reliable design using a proven first stage internal design that dates back decades. The Core Supreme sits at a performance to price ratio that is hard to top. There are plenty of great regulators out in the market but few will match the Core for price vs. performance with serviceability just about anywhere.

Yes, get a Core Supreme and the Core "octopus" which was $179 on Amazon. If you do not want the yellow purge cover an AL dealer can order you the blue cover. You will note the Core octo has the snowflake and heat exchanger of the Core Supreme second. It, like the Core Supreme second stage, is a pneumatic balanced mechanism, aside from the yellow purge cover, they are the same units.

James

Have the reg properly serviced and then sell it.
Pick up a complete new set from your LDS.

Eight or nine years ago, I bought a Cyklon 5000 because I had a great experience with my very first reg, which was a Cyklon 300 from 1979. I hate to say it, but I am sorry I bought the 5000, because I have been having a free flow problem on the reg, and it is really hard to find a dive shop near me that can service it.

Too bad about your difficulties; those regulators are quite simple to maintain and last forever. I, too started out with the Cyklon 300. Many, in the States, who don't work on their own gear, routinely ship their regulators to different cities or out of state for overhauls.

Out of curiosity, does the Cyklon simply free-flow, when pressurized; or when the purge is used? Are you comfortable enough with your gear to check the regulator's IP? It could be a very simple fix, with a flat-headed screwdriver or dental probe; or one which will require an overhaul, if there is an issue with the first stage, and a failing seat, for example. When was the last time that it was serviced, if at all?

Below, is a section of the manual, where the second stage is adjusted, through the mouthpiece, by rotating an either white or black-colored ejector sleeve. It may just be a matter of decreasing its sensitivity a bit, since the Cyklon is usually set close to a free-flow. I adjust mine in that fashion and futz with it from time to time, if it becomes a bit too touchy.

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.36.24 PM.png

Here are also some resources for Poseidon, in Canada (you're in Ontario, eh?) and a copy of the service manual for you to examine . . .

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 8.16.28 PM.png

Attachments

• Service Manual-Cyklon 5000-3950-ENG.pdf
    14.8 MB · Views: 93
Send your Poseidon to rsingler....he should be able to make care of it. I dove a 5000 for years with no issues once you find a good service tech

OP, I have been a long time user of the Titan LX Supreme which morphed into the Core Supreme, they are very much the same regulators with minor improvements, mostly cosmetic. I just bought a new Core Supreme and the matching octopus. The Core is an excellent regulator with superior performance and simple, reliable design using a proven first stage internal design that dates back decades. The Core Supreme sits at a performance to price ratio that is hard to top. There are plenty of great regulators out in the market but few will match the Core for price vs. performance with serviceability just about anywhere.

Yes, get a Core Supreme and the Core "octopus" which was $179 on Amazon. If you do not want the yellow purge cover an AL dealer can order you the blue cover. You will note the Core octo has the snowflake and heat exchanger of the Core Supreme second. It, like the Core Supreme second stage, is a pneumatic balanced mechanism, aside from the yellow purge cover, they are the same units.

James
Thanks for the confirmation on the quality of the Core. The reason I ask on the Octopus is it costs $300. for a Core model which is almost half the price of the reg itself at $693.00

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom