Information Overload! Two weeks in November - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... a little more food for thought....

I really liked El Nido (Palawan Divers), but it's a process to get too.... haven't been to Bohol, but hear only good things about it. Still remember Moalboal (and Pescador Island) as one of my personal highlights in the Philippines.... Anilao remain my BEST (in 4 trips) experience in the Philippines! If I personally had to choose only two places though...

It would be Anilao and Malapascua.... Moalboal would be a very close second to Malapasuca though......just my two yens worth :wink:

When it's all said and done though... I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in the Philippines :)

At this point I think I'm going to go with Duma and Anilao. I'm still considering Bohol, but the lure of great macro photo opps at Anilao is pulling me that direction! Plus, being fairly close to Manila means I can spend less time traveling and more time diving! I'll try to get off my butt and post a trip report when I get back -

I've not personally been to Dumaguete... it was very high on my list until this year. Although I'm sure there is other good diving in the area, the big draw for me was the Ducomi Pier which was world famous as a macro site, being compared to places like Lembeh Straits.

Reports now are that after the owners began making needed repairs on the pier it's pretty much finished as a dive site :shakehead: Theres another thread on that subject so no need for us to turn this thread into a re-hash.

As for travel time... if it's planned correctly, that can be kept to a minimum. Plan two destinations with a travel day in the middle. Good to take a day off then anyway to off-gas a little (so DAN tells us :wink:)

Some examples from my own experience:

My first trip to the Philippines was only for a week. I arrived in Manila after 10PM and after spending the night in a hotel in Manila got up early, caught a bus, then a ferry, and was in Puerto Galera early the next afternoon. If you arrive on a morning flight, you could be in Puerto Galera and diving on the first day (or Anilao).

My second trip to the Philippines, I arrived in Cebu on an evening flight and was making my first dive the next morning at 7:36 AM on Monad Shoal in Malapascua. After 9 dive days, I went back to Cebu City on a Friday.

Took a break for a couple of days (after 9 days in Malapascua you would want to :wink:) (see my trip report on that). I then took a cab to Moalboal leaving late on Sunday morning, arriving in Moalboal in time to dive on Sunday night. I could have opted to go straight to Moalboal and completed that travel in a day. I could have likely went to Southern Leyte or Bohol and completed that travel in probably a day and half (has to be timed right). (A 17 day trip if I remember correctly)

On my 3rd Philippines trip, I arrived at Anilao in time to get in a night dive on the day I arrived. I dived all week, transferred from Anilao to Puerto Galera on a Friday and was there in time to get in a night dive on Friday. (a 2 week trip)

On my 4th trip, I arrived in Manila on a Wednesday night and I was in Puerto Princesa (where I did several dives) early the next morning. I departed to Tubbataha where I dived every day Sunday-Saturday. I missed one day of diving while traveling to El Nido, got in 4 dives in El Nido on a Monday, left on the ferry to Coron on Tuesday and was diving Coron that night. (a 3 week trip w/4 days in Manila at the end)

My point in relating all this is that most dive destinations (with a few exceptions) in the Philippines are close enough that the logistics are doable. There is plenty of transportation available (flights, buses, ferries, taxi's). You can travel from one area to another in most cases in no more than a day and a half. If you're there on a 14 day trip, pick two locations you want to dive, and as long as one is not really remote, you can easily get in 10 dive days.

Most places you can do 4 dives a day. That's 40 dives... or take some down time and do some sightseeing too...

I'll reiterate, that given only 2 weeks, I would do Anilao/Puerto Galera. I would give Anilao 5 full dive days and PG 4-5 dive days. Anilao has incredible macro, and is a favorite for many underwater photographers. Puerto Galera, has wrecks, big fish, current, and plenty of macro opp's also. Puerto Galera is also where you would likely leave from to dive Verde Island which many here have called a "must-do" dive.

Just a little more to think about... I usually drive myself crazy when I'm planning a trip :eyebrow: The problem with the Philippines is that there is so much great diving its just hard to narrow it down sometimes. Trust me I can relate to your dilemma :D

Good luck :)

The problem with a Dumaguete and Anilao trip is that there it is a flight to get from one to the other. No diving 18 hours before the flight and it costs you another day of diving. So you are better off doing Dumaguete and Alona Beach (or Siquijor) or Anilao and Puerta Galera. Then your travel day will be a ferry instead of a flight.

The problem with a Dumaguete and Anilao trip is that there it is a flight to get from one to the other. No diving 18 hours before the flight and it costs you another day of diving. So you are better off doing Dumaguete and Alona Beach (or Siquijor) or Anilao and Puerta Galera. Then your travel day will be a ferry instead of a flight.

:doh:ahhh.... I'm an idiot... thanks for stating the obvious, don't know how I missed it, other than I just didn't think about it because I've never did a flight in the middle of a trip.... yes, yes, yes, a flight in the middle will cost more dive time.

However if you wanted to take that time for sightseeing, etc... you could still do it that way. I think the sightseeing would be back in Manila though for the most part if you went to Anilao first. Easier to do it at the end of the trip :)

flowepecker, U must be getting tired of all this. Just one last thought. If you are going to Duma and Anilao, you can dive at Alona Beach/Balicasag without much additional time/cost.

Fly in to Dumaguete via Manila, dive as long as you want. Then take the ferrry to Tagbilaran (Bohul) and dive from Alona Beach. Then fly from Tagbilaran back to Manila and take the car/bus ride down to Anilao. Or maybe just decide you have to make another trip next year.

Whatever you decide to do, remember that you can't make a bad decision here: you are looking at only winning choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom