Information on Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just given a tank from a coworker.
He has not used it since 1979 and does not know much about it.

I do not have a picture right now, but it looks to be a 72.
It has an orange coating on it, like a plastic coating. No stickers.
The valve looks in excellent condition with that K valve switch.
Only numbers I can read thru the coating is on one side 8 @ 79.
I'm guessing that was a hydro stamp.

The other side is DOT - 3AA 2250
HJ 276 634
4 * 72 +

Not sure about the * though.

Any information would be appreciated.
I'm planning on taking it down to my LDS for a hydro & VIS in a couple of weeks.
Thanks

The 3AA says it's a steel tank, the 4*72+ tells me it was made in April of 1972. Based on the age and 2250 rating odds are very good it's a steel 72. I am guessing but since it's orange I am betting it's a Healthways tank, they painted a lot of their tanks orange, I don't recall any other manuf using orange. You say it has a "K valve switch" which I assume you mean it is a J valve (Ks don't have a reserve, Js do). Those valves are perfectly fine to use although most don't really understand them and instead tell you to get rid of them. Your biggest problem with them are young tank monkies who don't know how to fill them. Unless it was abused it should be a perfectly good tank for many many more years of use.

Blue-

Unless I mioss my guess with the limited info posted..I'd say you have a LP72 steel....26 lbs without valve thereabouts...6.9" diameter.Great tanks! I own 4 of them.
Good bouyancy characteristics...about5.5 lbs neg when full...0-1 lb neg empty.

DOT 3aa..is the steel...
HJ..is "Healthways"..S#276 634
Born on date ..April of 1972...(if thats the FIRST hydro stamp) with a "plus" rating...meaning 10% overfill...for a final fill pressure of 2475psi...thats 72 cuft at 2475...about 65 cuft at 2250...
Tank factor is about 2.9 cuft per 100psi...
I do hope its a 3/4-14 valve...vs the 1/2" taper thread...they can be a pain to work with.

Have a KNOWLEDGABLE ..as in familier with... the LP72 steel tanks viz inspector ...open it up...check inside ...and give you a straight steer.
If the tanks in good condition...it'll last years....and is a SWEET lil package..great for shallow shore dives and dicey footing...

Can't say enough good things about the LP72's...great tank. IMO

Bubs

Thanks for the information.
As far as the valve is concerned it appears to be in perfect condition.
I don't know how they would get it off from the tank as the base is round and so placing a wrench on it would need to be on the top part by the O-ring.
I don't know which position the J valve should be in for the reserve, but after watching a dozen episodes of seahunt, Mike Nelson's tanks were always in the down position when he was diving.

J valve lever is up at the beginning of the dive, pull down when breathing becomes difficult, down to refill tank or just leave it down all the time.

Up at the start and down when its time to go home. :)
If you use a reg with a SPG, then just leave it down. If by chance you have it up, your SPG will bounce by a few hundred PSI as you breath. Normally this is a bad thing but with J valves in the "dive" position, it's normal. Either ignore it or put the lever down to the "reserve" position. The biggest isse I have with them is tank monkies who do not know how to fill them. They MUST be in the down/reserve postion to fill. Had a issue with a kid filling one once. He had already given me a no fill once so I was watching him fill the tank. He was about to stop the fill when I interupted him wanting to know why. He said it was filled and pointed to the 3K on the gauge.....I reached over and dropped to J valve to reserve and watched the needle drop to a few hundred pounds..he was not happy. They work fine, just know how to use them.

Usually, you can get the valve off by just bumping it with your palm. They do not need to be tight, just make darn sure the tank is empty.

Ok an update on the tank. I drained out the air and took it to my LDS. Took the valve off, it was hand tight. The VIS showed it to be in perfect condition no rust. Sent it out for Hydro, came back and is ready to use. The valve is in excellent condition. Hooked it up my regs and it worked great. Diameter is a bit smaller than my HP100 so will need to adjust cam bands for the smaller tank.

Back
Top Bottom