Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris maccubbin

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting my dive master certification. I am only certified with open water. What do I have to do? I am looking into the Bay Islands College of Diving. That's where I got my open water cert.

p.s. I don't have any of my own equipment!

Originally posted by chris maccubbin
I am thinking about getting my dive master certification. I am only certified with open water. What do I have to do? I am looking into the Bay Islands College of Diving. That's where I got my open water cert.

p.s. I don't have any of my own equipment!

Bay Islands is a PADI 5star center, so I am assuming that you are look for a PADI DM certification.

Starting from OW, you must complete the Advanced Open Water and Rescue Diver Course. You must also either prove current first aid and CPR certification, or take the PADI Medic First Aid class.

Other minimum entry requirements include a minimum of 20 logged dives before starting the DM class. You will be required to have 60 logged dives before completing the class. You must be a minimum of 18 years old at the start of the DM course. You must submit a medical clearance to dive signed by a physician, attesting to fitness to dive. (Doctor clearance must be no more than 12 months old.)

Thanks for the good info, what about being able to rent or buy equipment while I'm on the island for a few months.

On their web page, BICD states that "all required equipment is included in your course prices or fun diving packages." I'd check with them to be sure.

If you have to rent, over a period of a few weeks, the rental fees will quickly approach or exceed the cost of buying your own gear. If they offer any discount for using your own gear, consider that to be money saved off a gear purchase.

The Bay Islands have several scuba shops where you could purchase gear, but I have no idea how prices compare to Virginia. But if you are paying for several classes there, you should be able to negotiate a good price on gear with BICD.

Other options are buying locally where you are, or doing the internet/mail order routine. On this board, you can find many opinions about buying on the internet. Generally, the internet can save you a lot of money, but you must research the available options and know exactly what you want. Local dive shops have the advantage that you can try on gear for size. DO NOT size gear in a local shop and then buy online - that is rude. If you need and use the expertise of the local dive shop to get suitable gear, then buy the gear there. You are also paying for the service.

I would strongly recommend having your own gear, in any event. It is generally expected that a divemaster will own his own gear. A working divemaster is required to dive with a BCD, regulator and octopus, tank, fins, mask, snorkle, dive knife, whistle (or other emergency signalling device like a safety sausage), and any needed exposure suit. This could be rental gear, but most DM's own it all.

Originally posted by trymixdiver:
Correct me if i am wrong but you will need diving insurance also.

TMD

Professional liability insurance for divemasters is required in some countries, but not all. It is a good idea regardless.

Dive accident insurance is not required, but is also a good idea.

Some countries may require that you carry health insurance in order to cover any medical expenses during your stay there.

There was a thread a while back talking about the various DM and instructor training programs available on Utila. It sounded like some care was needed in selecting a good facility. Some apparently provided minimal training, others were more focused on the use of mind-altering substances . . . . I would suggest that you seek out recent program graduates for their frank appraisals of what they received or didn't receive from the experience.

BICD seemed to be a well recommended place for real training. Other centers did have some detractors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom