Info on West Palm Beach area diving in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which location offers better diving - Jupiter or Boyton Beach?

Which location offers better diving - Jupiter or Boyton Beach?
Boy, you could start a fight over that question! But its a good one with many different opinions - alco they are both wonderful, so you really can't go wrong in either place.

They are excellent areas and well worth diving - Boynton's sights are a little closer in - the reef line runs parallel to the beach for what seems like a couple of miles - and the reefs are beautiful - I think the best in FL. Sites - exception some of the wrecks - are a little shallower vs Jupiter - about 60' give or take. Sea life is good; reefs are healthy - IMO, the best in FL.

Jupiter - I'm not objective, let me state that at the outset - I think Jupiter is the best place to dive in FL, as an overall great site - you stand a better chance of seeing large animals in Jupiter, consistantly, than any other place in FL. Wheather its the goliath grouper (f/k/s jewfish) aggregation, or the lemon sharks, Jupiter has some really coool and unique diving - along with the best site in FL - "Tunnels" (IMO).

Now for the other side of the coin - Jupiter is all deep (60 - 90') sites and all current diving - the deeper dives mean that 90% of the boat will likely be NITROX certified to get 40/45 mins vs 20/25 min's.

Also, seeing a large shark, ray, turtle is scary to many, especially new divers - if you can't control your bouyancy and you kick up sand, you will not be popular w/ your fellow divers, as the silt you stir up (not "you" of course - using the word you to describe others) stays with you as you drift w/ the current.

So as a new diver should you bag Jupiter - no - you can pick your days for good weather - you can also for a very reasonable fee hire a DM to dive w/ you - Jupiter Dive Center - and others no doubt - can set this up for you.

While you can't go wrong with either, I think you can tell who I give the edge to!

Last edited:
Just dove with Underwater Explorers today and I would very much recommend them if you are going to get down to Boynton. Excellent operation. Wherever you go, have fun and be safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom