Info on the Navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Jeff
It makes sense that Diver should be its own rate. Perhaps it will be available by the time my son would graduate boot camp early next year.
Now I can put a little pressure on the Recruiter to do his job and get the details from Dive School. And if he won't then Army is definately an option.
Thanks for your help - Roy Mann

This thread goes back a ways. Robert, the son I wrote about in the original post, had PIR on Sept 2nd. He is now a sailor and is still at Great Lakes for A-school. He is there for Damage Control but did not pass the Fleet Diver PT Test (not enough chin-ups) to go to Fleet Diver School.

Anyway, not every rate could go to Dive School. These are the rates that are allowed (to the best of my knowledge but check with the recruiter) DC, EM, EN, GM, HT, IC, MM, MR, OS, PH, QM, SM, TM. I don't know all of them just a few

DC - Damage Control
HT - Hull Tech
MM - Machinist's Mate
etc
I think they primarily involve maintenance, repair or engineering.

Good luck to your son.

Julie

Hello Jeff
Thanks for all your advice. My son passed the physical and scored an 88 on the ASVAB. His score was so high the Career Counselor offered him Nuclear Power School
but he declined because it could be a 5 -6 year enlistment. He instead chose the Fleet Diver Challenge and Engineman A School which they included in his 4 year enlistment contract. So he has it "In writing". However they told him he cannot start Boot Camp until next March because openings in Engineman School are limited. After A School he would then go to Diving School. He will be 21 years old next month and is anxious to get his Navy Career started as soon as possible. He really doesn't want to wait until March. Having been in the Navy myself and seen lots of procedures "adjusted" with a mere phone call, I'm wondering if there isn't a way to speed this up. Let me know if you can think of anything. Thanks again - Roy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom