Info on the Navy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD:
I have to say one other thing (surprise).

If your son wants to be a Navy diver. And I mean ANY kind of diver. He had better be able to commit 100% and then be ready, willing and able to give some more. Physically and mentally.

Navy divers are some of the fittest people you will ever see. One reason some civilians get hurt diving Navy tables, is they are written for people with superb conditioning.

I mean superb. He better find out what the entrance PT test requires. Then he better be able to do it, then do some more. Minimums wont cut it, he'll wash out. He better love to run in the sand, flutter kicks (a particularly nasty exercise) and bodybuilders (combination squat thrust and pushup). Better LOVE them.

I like this Thread...Because We TRAIN to come out of the Water and KILL things. But He's right..the Training is intense. To say the least..Then theres the lifestyle. Hell, look at Me stuck in the Caribbean for 18 months with Uncle Sam...There's a tank on My back everyday at one point or another. Biggest problem now is keeping up with batteries for My computer. Do You know I have not been able to fly for a Year according to My Computer. :wink:

Juls64:
I am the parent of a 17 year old son (high school junior) who is leaning toward joining the Navy. He is interested in the Emergency, Fire & Rescue School. I have 101 questions.

He is a certified diver w/ AOW. He will complete EFR & Rescue this summer. Is being a SEAL the only way to dive in the Navy? Are there any diving opportunities involved in Emergency, Fire & Rescue training? (This is my question, he likes to dive but isn't overly worried about diving as part of the curriculum)

He is interested in becoming a firefighter/paramedic, and instead of attending college, is (HIGHLY) interested in pursuing military training.

Is there anyone out there with some experience/knowledge that I can direct more questions?

Thank you for any help.

Julie

As many people have indicated here watch those recruiters!

That said, I would urge your son to look at other branches of the service too! As a former US Army Ranger and Special Forces veteran I'm a little biased towards the Army. As a Special Forces soldier (NCO) I was afforded the chance to attend the Combat Diver's course (SCUBA) in Key West, FL. The Navy was running the course when I attended. The Army (Special Forces) is running the School at this time. (I keep hearing that the Navy is going to take it back, however; I also hear that the Airforce my take it over too.) In anycase it was a great school. So, my take would be to have your son look at the program to become a Special Forces Medic. He would then have a chance to apply for the Combat Divers course and get on a SCUBA ODA (Operational Detachment) Of course he would have gone through the Airborne course, MOS training (Over a year for a medic) and the Special Forces Qualification course. The Combat Diver's course is about six weeks.

The US Army also has a divers MOS in the Engineers. It is a "hard hat" course that covers SCUBA as well. The ratings for the divers is the same as the Navy. (Top Master Diver) This school is on the Navy base at Panama City, FL. (Run by Army instructors. ) He would have to serve in an Army Engineer unit to carry this type of diver's MOS.

The Airforce has SCUBA training for their PJ and Air Commandos, etc. The PJ (Rescue People also have Medics).

The Marines have the Recon people who all have to attend the Combat Divers course taught by the Navy at Panama City, FL.

Of course all the Branches have EOD people who are trained to dive as well. Under water EOD, however; is mostly a Navy mission.

In any case, I wish your son well! :eyebrow:

I agree with the observation, that if the main interest is rescue, then the Coast Guard may offer the best opportunities.

The first step is to visit an armed forces recruiting station. But do not sign anything on your first visit. Find the Coast Guard rep and the Navy rep. See what programs for high school grads they have to offer. Take home some literature from each, and make sure you do not sign anything. Tell them you "want to think it over."

Coast Guard and Navy programs like medical, swimming, diving, etc are very popular and so they get a lot of applicants. You need to be able to show them you offer something more than the average applicant (which is normally nothing). Athletics goes a long way. The medical programs like it when their applicants have formal first aid & CPR training, or experience of some kind, either volunteer (for the Red Cross) or part time (like working for an EMR company). The swimming and diving programs appreciate high school athletes, such as swimmers or track runners.

If the youth is an athlete, and has some experience and training, he/she stands a better chance of getting into the desired program. They like kids with motivation, who did something about it, to get ready for the Coast Guard or for the Navy.

When you get a written offer from the Coast Guard or from the Navy that specifically states there is a program you are signed up for, then it is time to sign up. Most new recruits, however, simply end up in the pool of general recruits, and do not get any guarantees of MOS (military occupational specialty) or billet (job assignment). A really good performance in basic training can get a recruit preference for a particular school, however, if the aptitude is there.

There is one further huge liability involved in the Navy's medical corps program. It has stateside duty, it has sea duty, and it has duty with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (no offense intended however). Stateside duty at a major naval hospital is the best, of course. Sea duty involves several months at a time onboard ship, at sea, away from dry land for the first several years of a career. This is not for everybody. The worst in my opinion is duty with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, however. This medic is a corpsman who provides all the medical needs of the amphibious infranty. It usually means you must hump and hump and hump, and then treat mostly heat casualties and heatstroke victims of The Children. The Coast Guard does not have to do anything like that.

You just need to keep all that in mind.

Good luck.

Anchors aweigh!

armyscuba:
I like this Thread...Because We TRAIN to come out of the Water and KILL things. But He's right..the Training is intense. To say the least..Then theres the lifestyle. Hell, look at Me stuck in the Caribbean for 18 months with Uncle Sam...There's a tank on My back everyday at one point or another. Biggest problem now is keeping up with batteries for My computer. Do You know I have not been able to fly for a Year according to My Computer. :wink:

What unit are you with?

Who trained you to come out of the water (with a dive computer) and kill things?

Are you saying you dive on duty for the US Army in Cuba?

Hey 6Gill,

I do not think there are any on this board but:

The Recon Marines have been running there own dive training in PC since around 1995. Pretty great course that they have put together.

Bob3:
The Coast Guard has the best grub of any of the branches though.
(except the nuke subs). :D
But don't judge the food by the stuff that we put on the mess decks during ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination) or TRE (Tactical Readiness Evaluation). Somehow the cooks always found steak and lobster to serve when those inspectors were on board, Hmmmm.......

diverbrian:
But don't judge the food by the stuff that we put on the mess decks during ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination) or TRE (Tactical Readiness Evaluation). Somehow the cooks always found steak and lobster to serve when those inspectors were on board, Hmmmm.......

Although they are few in number the Coast Guard also has a diving program.

I went through dive school with one and now work commercially with another former CG diver, we were both at the dive school as instructors at the same time but taught different courses.

Hi Julie,

I am new to the SCUBA Board and I am not sure if you are still following this thread but I am a Navy Deep Sea Diver. I retired 3 years ago from Pearl Harbor Hawaii. I have been a Navy diver since 1979. I would be happy to answer any question you have and can put your son in contact with an active duty diver from any part of the Navy dive program including: current instructors from NDSTC in Panama City, Experimental Diving Unit, Mobile Diving Salvage Unit 1 or 2, Research & Development (working with scientists), Salvage shipboard divers or those currently working in Hyperbaric Medicine. There is a lot more to the "Total" Navy Dive program than you have read here. It's fast paced and exciting but requires total commitment and absolute teamwork. It' not for everybody and your only limitations are yourself. Post your questions or email me. If you would like I would be happy to talk to a recruiter for your son and find out what is the current "Real Deal" is. Only believe what you have in writing. Take care. Hoo Yah America!

Alan

rmediver2002:
Although they are few in number the Coast Guard also has a diving program.

I went through dive school with one and now work commercially with another former CG diver, we were both at the dive school as instructors at the same time but taught different courses.
Hello Jeff
As a former Dive Instructor maybe you might help me to guide my 21 yr old son. I am a former MM2 - SS but have been out of the Navy more years than I'd like to confess.
My son, a former High School Wrestler and Varsity Baseball Player, has 21 college credits but no idea what to major in at this time. He's also an avid surfer and strong swimmer (this kid surfs Hurricanes - shaking my head as I type this). I suggested a 4 year enlistment in the Navy after which he might have a larger World View of things. He has looked over most of the Navy programs and has his heart set on becoming a Navy Diver in Construction or Salvage. Being Ex- Navy, I'm well aware of "Get it in writing". And the recruiter promised it would be there providing he qualifies. He will take the ASVAB & Physical next Wednesday. My question regards the correct path to take. I am aware that only certain rates qualify for Diving School. He is leaning toward SW Steel(5 yr enlistment) or Boatswains Mate. He has mechanical ability (repairs his own cars) and is strong in Math & Algebra. However, the different Diver Classifications are confusing and since I cannot accompany him to "Career Counseling" I'm afraid that the Counselor might steer him toward the "Needs of the Navy". Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Roy

roymann:
Hello Jeff
As a former Dive Instructor maybe you might help me to guide my 21 yr old son. I am a former MM2 - SS but have been out of the Navy more years than I'd like to confess.
My son, a former High School Wrestler and Varsity Baseball Player, has 21 college credits but no idea what to major in at this time. He's also an avid surfer and strong swimmer (this kid surfs Hurricanes - shaking my head as I type this). I suggested a 4 year enlistment in the Navy after which he might have a larger World View of things. He has looked over most of the Navy programs and has his heart set on becoming a Navy Diver in Construction or Salvage. Being Ex- Navy, I'm well aware of "Get it in writing". And the recruiter promised it would be there providing he qualifies. He will take the ASVAB & Physical next Wednesday. My question regards the correct path to take. I am aware that only certain rates qualify for Diving School. He is leaning toward SW Steel(5 yr enlistment) or Boatswains Mate. He has mechanical ability (repairs his own cars) and is strong in Math & Algebra. However, the different Diver Classifications are confusing and since I cannot accompany him to "Career Counseling" I'm afraid that the Counselor might steer him toward the "Needs of the Navy". Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks - Roy

Hey Roy,

Sorry for the delay.

The Navy is currently in the process of making diving its own rate so shortly all divers will be rated as divers.

I am not aware of any rate that could not be a diver, many were bosun or engineman but many other rates came through school as well.

There is / was a divefare program that allowed for dive training directly in the basic training pipeline, that would be the first thing to look into but I am not sure the program is still running.

Depending on the type of work he wants to do he may be interested in Sea-Bee diving with the underwater construction teams, they do many operations like salvage, port construction and rehabilitation, lock and dam inspection and repair.

If he want diver then he should not take anything else, in fact if the recruiter does not offer diver tell him to get up and say "he has an appointment with an Army recruiter, they need divers" a dive packet is much more work for a recruiter but if he does not get dive training in his package he is looking at a three to four year wait to get the training...

Don't settle for anything less than you want!

Good luck and Deep Sea!!

Let me know if you or your son have any questions.

Jeff
jlane@rmediver.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom