Info on Dog Tags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruiser24

Contributor
Reaction score
hi i understand that some divers here mark their bcds and regs using dog tags.

am curious to find out what info do you have on the tags? name? blood type? contact number?

many thanks for sharing

If you are using "dog tags" to mark your gear, all you need is your name, and possibly contact information.

Blood type is unnecessary unless you plan to receive a direct person-to-person blood transfusion in the field. Hospitals do not need to know your blood type, and they will not trust any information on "dog tags." They will run their own tests to determine your blood type, at the time that it is needed.

They will do blood typing anyway - even if your blood type were tatooed on you. They are not going to trust a tag.

IMHO it makes the most sense to include:
Name
ICE contact number
DAN number

make the most sense.

As Doc stated, general info and contact numbers are probably good ideas. Addresses probaly not so important as phone numbers for family, spouse, friends, etc. Most of the time we are miles away from our address anyway. Maybe alergies or important meds if there is room.

I've got something similar for running, I think they offer a dog tag as well as several different wrist/ankle straps (company is road ID) and it has:

My Name
Hometown, State
ICE (3 contacts in order)
NKA (No Known Allergies) and NO MED HX (No Medical History)

They have an interactive version that gives the phone #, Web site and PIN they can input. I think they charge some annual or monthly fee for the detailed one. I'm assuming this is more for someone with a large list of allergies or pertinant medical history.

I have a DAN Tag Plus:
dantagplus.gif
(see DAN Divers Alert Network : Product Catalog : DAN Tag). In addition to providing information, it can be used as a signal mirror. I drilled a small hole in the middle of the metal and plastic (I re-sealed the edges of the plastic with epoxy while keeping the hole open) since I know how to use a signal mirror and find the hole to be more accurate.

I used to hang the tag from a chest D-ring, which is to say, I used to look like a Christmas tree. Now I hang the tag off the bottom of my deployable SMB (along with a whistle), which puts it neatly out of the way until I need it.

Most military surplus stores make dog tags with what ever you want on them.

i agree that blood type is not going to be used, but allergies (if you have them) or NKA or NKDA (no known allergies/no known drug allergies) could be useful.

but mainly your name, dan number, the dan phone number, and your contact's phone number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom