Info About New Photo Center at LCBR and the Gym Closed Permanently

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Below is information posted on TripAdvisor by the manager at Little Cayman Beach Resort in response to a disappointed recent visitor who was unhappy about the food service and venue during remodeling and also displeased that the gym was no longer available.

The manager apologized and said that the new dining room will be open in February and shared the information below about the new Photo Center:

"...We are sorry to disappoint about the gym, but it has been permanently closed and is being transitioned to a photo and training center. We have so many underwater photographers who visit that we determined it would serve a larger number of guests with this conversion. With the assistance of Backscatter Underwater Photo & Video (arguable the foremost expert in all things underwater photo), we are staffing it with a knowledgeable pro who will be able to help guests troubleshoot, do minor maintenance and repairs, and provide support even with photo editing on the 2 Macs we have purchased. Our goal is for guests to take home great memories and photo/video remembrances of their vacation. Although we realize that some like you actually used the old exercise room - we went weeks without a single person in it. So hopefully you will find running or biking our flat roads, using our paddleboards and kayaks, and/or swimming in the bay a reasonable replacement during vacation..."

Well I guess they need to sort out the kitchen. It all depends on who the chef is not when. The gym is irrelevant. What is the aim besides a internet point and shoot?

I was there in September and the food was actually pretty good. Has the chef changed since then?
In all the years I have gone to LCBR, I've maybe seen the exercise equipment used twice. IMO, a photo center in that space is a good idea, particularly if Backscatter is involved.

It is impossible to please everyone but I love the idea of the photo center over a gym. Don’t get me wrong, we have a home gym but the last thing I want to do on a tropical vacation is go to an enclosed boring gym when there are wonderful workout opportunities right outside the door.

And a Backscatter approved photo shop! I am looking forward to this addition and hope to make good use of it this summer.

Though I've been an excercise freak most of my life, I never have enough time and endurance for working out when on diving vacations, except for mandatory morning warm-ups and some Yoga stretching before sleep. Tell them to install pull-up bars somewhere outside, I'll be happy with that.

I was there in September and the food was actually pretty good. Has the chef changed since then?
In all the years I have gone to LCBR, I've maybe seen the exercise equipment used twice. IMO, a photo center in that space is a good idea, particularly if Backscatter is involved.

Some of the TA reviewer's complaints about the food were that there wasn't as much variety as he wanted, especially for breakfast, he doesn't like eggs; and that some of the dishes were not hot by the time they were transported to the temporary dining room. I think that most of those issues will probably be resolved when they open the new dining room. I was told that they are providing free wine with dinner during remodeling as an apology for any inconvenience.

When we were at LCBR in the fall of 2017, they hadn't started remodeling yet but they were making plans. We thought that the food was good but the dining room seating was tight at times, so I can understand why they wanted to expand.

There are bicycles, kayaks, tennis courts, a pool, and lovely natural outdoor spaces available at LCBR for exercise, so I never saw the gym being used much when we've been there. I only went into the gym a few times to leave or take a book because that was were they had their "free library" book shelves for guests. I don't know where they will move the books now - perhaps into the new lobby?

At CBBR the free book shelves are in the parlor off of the lobby, where they have the computer and printer set up for guest use. At LCBR the computer was out in the lobby - so they were a bit cramped for space and the remodeling will likely be an improvement. Maybe they will have a computer and book room after the changes are finished.

There are so many UW photographers visiting the Cayman Sister Islands that the new photo shop will likely be appreciated by many.

They used to have a small photo shop at the back of the dive shop at CBBR, but then the resident photo expert retired and it hasn't been used much in recent years; perhaps they have similar plans to enhance photo services at CBBR in the future?

I don't know if they offer any underwater photography support at Cobalt Coast, but there are so many UW photography shops and options on GC that it might not be a priority - at least not until the finish the remodeling and other changes that they have planned for that site.

I do enjoy a good workout each day...I use to do 12 ounce curls on a regular basis but have since given up beer. Now, I’m enjoying 1-2 ounce tequila curls, but I do many more reps than when I drank beer :)

I’m an avid bike rider, so I’ll grab a rusty bucket and give it a go...then I’ll find various stairs, benches, trees to do TRX workouts....I never thought diving as a workout.....

I sometimes use the gym in hotels, but never at LCBR, I'd sooner just walk on the beach or do other things. Did I see someplace that kayaks and paddleboards were free to use now? I think they used to charge to rent. I'd way rather that over a gym anyway.

I wonder if they have plans to rent cameras? (I'd love to be able to rent things like a Tovatec Mera, Paralenz, or a good Gopro setup to try out.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom