Inflator Quick Connect Adjustment Or Cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my last dive I noticed the inflator hose quick connect on my wing would hiss a little when the hose was moved side-to-side. It clicks in completely, and there's no pressure loss when it's left alone (You can pressurize the reg, then close the tank valve, and the SPG still reads 3400 psi 2 days later - as long as you don't move the inflator hose.)

I didn't see any sand or salt crystals inside. Is there any sort of adjustment to the Schrader valve or the outer ring that might deal with this (minor) leak? Should I just ignore it? Replace the hose?

On my last dive I noticed the inflator hose quick connect on my wing would hiss a little when the hose was moved side-to-side. It clicks in completely, and there's no pressure loss when it's left alone (You can pressurize the reg, then close the tank valve, and the SPG still reads 3400 psi 2 days later - as long as you don't move the inflator hose.)

I didn't see any sand or salt crystals inside. Is there any sort of adjustment to the Schrader valve or the outer ring that might deal with this (minor) leak? Should I just ignore it? Replace the hose?

There is an oring up inside the female QD that seals around the od the male nipple on the power inflator. It's not super easy to change, but it is possible.

If your lp hose leaks when the reg is pressurized, but *not* connected to the Power inflator it's the Schrader (often just loose) Snugging up this Schrader requires a valve tool with some reach.

If the connection leaks when the QD is connected it's *not* the schrader, when connected the little bar on the end of the male nipple depresses the Schrader, it is almost certainly the oring, 1/4 id x 3/8 od x .062 x section.

These orings often get nicked by the male nipple, particularly the "bar" on the end.

I have witnessed a retailer selling a diver a new hose when they needed a nickle's worth of oring......

Tobin

That's exactly the sort of practical info that makes SB so great. Thanks, Tobin.

BTW, if that o-ring ever fails completely I'm guessing it would a fairly significant (LP) leak. Not as bad as a 2nd stage free-flow, but about the same gas loss as a depressed inflator button. Yup, a nickel's worth of o-ring seems worth it.

That's exactly the sort of practical info that makes SB so great. Thanks, Tobin.

BTW, if that o-ring ever fails completely I'm guessing it would a fairly significant (LP) leak. Not as bad as a 2nd stage free-flow, but about the same gas loss as a depressed inflator button. Yup, a nickel's worth of o-ring seems worth it.

Total failure is unlikely, but yes you would have quite a stream of bubbles. The good news is disconnecting the lp hose solves it instantly. One of the reasons I like to practice oral inflation.

Tobin

Tobin's advice about the O-ring was on target: I removed the O-ring, but I couldn't see any nicks. I didn't have a matching O-ring on hand, so I put the original back in - and *magic* - the leak was gone. It probably wasn't seated properly in the first place, or had been slightly dislodged when I inserted the quick-connect too quickly last time.

But at least now I know one more thing about maintaining my equipment.

There is an oring up inside the female QD that seals around the od the male nipple on the power inflator. It's not super easy to change, but it is possible.

If your lp hose leaks when the reg is pressurized, but *not* connected to the Power inflator it's the Schrader (often just loose) Snugging up this Schrader requires a valve tool with some reach.

If the connection leaks when the QD is connected it's *not* the schrader, when connected the little bar on the end of the male nipple depresses the Schrader, it is almost certainly the oring, 1/4 id x 3/8 od x .062 x section.

These orings often get nicked by the male nipple, particularly the "bar" on the end.

I have witnessed a retailer selling a diver a new hose when they needed a nickle's worth of oring......

Tobin
Oh, boy, is this a special tool, Tobin? @cool_hardware52

Do you have a number for what size the oring is I thought it was a 010 I put one in but it was hard to get on and off might be because all I had on hand was a 90 durometer oring.

I tried my LDS but they responded along the line of there's an oring in there?

With a little care, a small flat tip screwdriver will work.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom