Inflator/Octo Combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just remember, IF you go with the Air2/AirSource, get a longer hose on your primary (at least the same length as a regular Octo hose) since that is the one your will be donating. It is a REAL PITA to do an air share with the Air2/AirSource rig and a short primary hose -- it's possible, but very friendly.

Grajan:
We had exactly the same goal as you. We tried combos (SQ Air Source) but took them straight back after practicing a few OOA drills - scary..... WAY TOO many ways to screw up under stress.

This is exactly what happened to me. I argued and argued for the inflator octo setup here on the board. Then when I actually used one in a practice OOA exercise and DANG, that's no fun at all. I took it back and went back to a normal octo.

But that still makes me wonder about the whole "the panicked diver will pull the primary from your mouth" speculation. If that's actually the case, what is the best setup for this? Is there a guide/picture of how to best use the long primary/bungy octo.

On a dive in FL a young lady ran out of air and I guess I was the nearest one to her. She grabbed my octo and about ripped off my BC. I calmed her down by showing her how much air I had left grabbed my rent a buddy and started to the safety stop. Her buddy showed up and wanted her to use his octo. I said no and made her keep loking into my eyes, I even patted her on the head. She said later she saw my yellow hose colored octo and knew there was air. she also stated she was so scared and just wanted to go to the surface, when i showed he how much air we had left she wanted to just hug me. For the pat on the head at the safety stop she said thats what her dad does to her to say that she is OK. Prior to all dives I look to see what thpe of octos everyone has. I have no problems with inflator/octos but I will keep my style of octo for saftey of others.

Jarrett:
But that still makes me wonder about the whole "the panicked diver will pull the primary from your mouth" speculation. If that's actually the case, what is the best setup for this? Is there a guide/picture of how to best use the long primary/bungy octo.

I would suggest a DVD called "Essentials" from 5thd-x:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7211177544&category=73993

It's the best demo I've seen and has all the kicks as well.

I have Tusa Duo Air, have had no problems...etc...etc.
The only thing I would suggest is if you are diving with a buddy you don't dive with very often, definitely go over OOA procedure between the two of you. I can understand where in an emergency things can get confusing when your buddy doesn't see an octo right away. But you know what, things can get confusing in ANY emergency with ANY equipment if two divers don't know each others gear that well.
So don't let people tell you one way or the other what to use, it's up to you.

Jarrett:
Thanks thats a very interesting DVD.

Those guys are awesome divers!

It's definetly not always the popular decision, but I feel that in the type diving I do the SS1 is a good second regulator for me and with the longer hose on my primary I am ok with someone using that one.

This is kind of a DYOD (Dive Your Own Dive) topic to me.

Do your homework. Buy what you believe will work best for you. Famiarize yourself (and your dive buddy) with your set-up. Know and accept the risks.

I dove for years with a long hosed octo second stage. Decided (along with my wife who is my dive buddy) to buy the Seaquest/USD Air Source. We both understand the ramifications of having made that switch. We like NOT having the extra hose coming off our first stages and futzing with attaching the octo second stage to our BCD's.

It's a personal decision and might not be the best for all divers and all dive situations. Our diving is all liveaboard style and relatively shallow (typically < 60'). For us it works, but I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest that others go that route simply because we did. Likewise ...I wouldn't tell anyone that it is NOT a safe or workable configuration just because I hadn't ever tried it or did'nt think it was.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom