Inflatable Dive Float - Any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
I've attached a copy of a pic of an inflatable dive float I was looking at. It looked kind of nice, and maybe a little more stable than a typical one. I liked it mainly I guess because you can put drinks or something in the float for use when surfacing. Also looks like it would be easier to attach a light to. However, it did look like it could possibly be turned over in a strong current.

Any one know anything about this float, or used it? :rolleyes:

That one is covered in a yellow vinyl material that doesn't feel that sturdy...we've looked at at. I bought one that has a heavy canvas cover over a regular rubber car innertube. A dive flag can be mounted through the cemter and the top zips open to hold extra weights and such.

If you want something to hold your drinks, get a big tracktor tire and place a galvanized wash tub in the center of it. These 'beer boats' travel 100's of miles down the Frio, Guadalupe, and other rivers in the hill country every year.

Dee once bubbled...
I bought one that has a heavy canvas cover over a regular rubber car innertube. A dive flag can be mounted through the center and the top zips open to hold extra weights and such.
Dee,
Do you remember where you saw that float? The one I posted was the only one of its type I've seen. Or, do you think it would be cheaper to just make one?

Think as you look at this float .........The flag is secured at two spots, this makes it prone to becomming a sail and being blown over easily. Also it is incredibly light as well which adds to it's instability in rough water and windy days. Nobody wants to tow a Volkswagon around, I believe there is a better choice. I prefer one of the Car type inner tube surrounded by those ballistic nylon black, red and white covers with a zipper. They have body weight that isn't offensive, surface area that makes them harder to blow over, and the flag swivels so it dosn't act like a sail and create more work for you. Almost any float under adverse conditions sucks to tow around. However, when you figure you want to be seen, and if there's the possibility of your float becomming a life preserver at any time, it would be nice to know that it's construction would help save your life. It's just my opinion though, decide for your self...........
Wreck/Tec

I've used that float for Sydney diving and found it great for my needs.
We dont have to tow it around with us here, just mark the site we're diving with it.
I've been out there in prety rough conditions and good for students to grab onto who aren't feeling that comfortable.
I like the fact you can put things in the middle, the Peak Performance Buoyance requires me to take out quite a bit of weight and I always load it up in there.
It's never tipped over, although I have had one real rough day where it actually pulled so hard it broke the rope attatchment

Mine is the yellow one that says "Divers Below" and has the flag on a white rod that goes into pockets on each side of the "inner tube." The flag is slipped over the rod and hangs freely, the bottom is not attached to anything so when the wind blows the flag flaps intead of turning into a sail. It's the easiest flag I've ever had the pleasure of towing. You can't pull it under like some of the flags that are stuck in styrofoam "bobbers." There is a strap on the bottom to attach 2 lb weight. The weight gives the float stability for riding waves (nice when the water skiers use it for a turning buoy).

When we night dive we place a light in the center "well" and clip it to the "flagpole" for peace of mind. The light causes the yellow tube to glow and you can see it for several hundred yards, much farther than a flag with a cyalum stick on it. That yellow tube really GLOWS!

When we dive and I'm not getting in people fight over who gets to use my flag, it's that easy to tow.
Ber :bunny:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

Dee,
Do you remember where you saw that float? The one I posted was the only one of its type I've seen. Or, do you think it would be cheaper to just make one?

We got ours at a dive shop. There is a tag on the inside reading Trident Diving Equipment. Ours is red and yellow, made of heavy canvas, with grommet holes to hold the pole of a dive flag. One side opens with a heavy zipper so you can carry extra weights, belts, masks, etc.. We use it mostly during classes. I can check with them and see who made it.

Here it is in Tridents catalog....Float Tube Cover Ours is model DF92.

Trident does not sell anything retail so you'll have to get your dive shop to order it for you. I don't know of a single dive shop that does not carry Trident merchandise!

I own two of these floats. It won't become a sail because the bottom of the flag is not fixed. I fix a 3lb weight to the bottom clip to add more stability. Don't use the plastic clip that comes with the flag to attach the weight -- it can weaken over time. I like the fact that it is a little smaller than some of the tube floats. The middle pocket is nice for storing stuff like defog. I've used it in high winds and on the great lakes with no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom