Info Inexpensive Sidemount hardware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an example of my "ultra inexpensive tank rigging." It's on a pony-bottle and not as "tight" as I'd make it with sidemount rigging, but adjusting it for SM would be fairly easy. Funny enough, the paracord rigging was meant to be a cheap hack on a pony-bottle I keep around as a loaner for other divers, but I actually like it better than the webbing-version you can see right next to it.

The easiest way to cover hose-clamps is "tubular webbing" material. Many of the dive-websites sell it, buy you can even find it on Amazon and various other websites.

View attachment 757490

View attachment 757491

View attachment 757492

View attachment 757493

WTF is that abortion?

OP, all you need is a worm clamp, tubular webbing to cover it, paracord, and bolt snap per tank. Add another bolt snap and more paracord if you want a top leash. That’s it. No need for the “handle.” Add thick bungee for a hose retainer or get an already made one for long hose tank. I like the Underwater Light Dude ones.

Friend recently bought his SM rig and the shop tried to sell him the expensive Dive Rite travel rigging kit. Forget how much they are, but at least $75 per tank. I had warned buddy so he didn’t buy the DR travel rigging. He spent a lot less rigging his tanks like I described above.

Here are the links to Piranha's webpages. this link is to the kit for the PST LP72s this link is to the kit for the Faber LP50. Both Kits are $23

I actually found this kit on DGX that looks pretty good and is comparable to the Piranha kits I was looking at. I'm happy with the $40 price tag

In all honesty if the group thinks that the piranha's kit is a good kit I'm happy to order it. My only hesitation is that I have called Piranha a few times over the last few weeks and I can not get ahold of anyone to talk to them about the kits. To outfit all my cylinders its a price difference of $70, which Id rather put towards a day of diving.

The kit you linked to is a stage kit, you don't need all that extra crap. Hose clamp, bolt snap, and paracord...bottom attachment is done.

Paracord and a bolt snap makes a cheap and easy choker if that's your thing.

Hose retainer can be made from bungee, made from old inner tubes sourced from a tire shop, or bought from dgx. I've done all the above and my current favorite is the diverite retainers.

If you want cheap cam bands instead of hose clamps, I suggest finding an old jacket BC and stealing the cam bands off of it, before you take them off, do us all a favor and throw the jacket BC in the trash :wink: I literally just did that with an ancient zeagle that was in the bottom of the pile and it felt good.

1670558144184.png

Most of what I've ordered from there has been good quality, except for one item (this star-tool knockoff).
A complete duplicate of my fairly long history of interactions and orders from Randy. Basically all good stuff except that "star tool" kludge...

I've even had him custom make stuff for me.

A complete duplicate of my fairly long history of interactions and orders from Randy. Basically all good stuff except that "star tool" kludge...

I've even had him custom make stuff for me.
Hah, that star-tool is literal garbage, everything is the wrong size to be useful for scuba. Meanwhile, the XS-Scuba Start Tool is one of the best scuba-tools I own.

I hadn't thought about custom. Makes sense, some of the items I received look like they're cut out with something like a water-jet, or something similar that cuts out shapes. I might have to start coming up with ideas for custom hardware.

I just received one of these reels. For $12, I'm surprised how nice it is. I've paid nearly the same for just a finger-spool. It seems to be made out of a durable polymer. I'm sure the tech-reels are nicer, but this seems more than adequate for recreational purposes. The line itself is pretty nice too, seems similar to 250lbs mini-paracord. edit: It was a little stiff, so I unscrewed one screw, added some silicone grease, and it's practically perfect.

My only hesitation is that I have called Piranha a few times over the last few weeks and I can not get ahold of anyone to talk to them about the kits. To outfit all my cylinders its a price difference of $70, which Id rather put towards a day of diving.
Piranha seems to be mostly a one man operation and he (Randy) doesn't get to the phone all the time. I've ordered stuff from him many times and he's always been very reliable. And the prices are good.

Randy has always been very responsive to emails, in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom