Inexpensive Primary Light for Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought one—an SD05. Quite impressive for the price of ~$40 with battery. I really like the rotary magnetic switch. I liked it so much I ordered a second, along with some spare batteries. The second light was DOA. They sent a replacement in a few weeks.

I also have a Dive Rite CX2, which is much nicer and brighter. Also 3x the price.
I just had a look at the CX2. Looks very nice and I prefer to leave the battery in for charging. How easy to use is the button? Does it switch on accidentally? Does it show how much battery time is left? And this is probably a stupid beginner question, but what is strobe and what do I need it for? When I google it I find little lights you'd attach to an exit point or the like. On a dive light, is it the same as an SOS function?

I just had a look at the CX2. Looks very nice and I prefer to leave the battery in for charging. How easy to use is the button? Does it switch on accidentally? Does it show how much battery time is left? And this is probably a stupid beginner question, but what is strobe and what do I need it for? When I google it I find little lights you'd attach to an exit point or the like. On a dive light, is it the same as an SOS function?
I'm pretty impressed with the CX2, but I have not yet dived with it. I'm a bit concerned about the button getting accidentally switched on when traveling, but don't know how much of an issue it is. I've thought about rigging up a piece of PVC pipe to slide over it to prevent actuation. In casual handling it's not an issue at all, however. The button has a battery indicator around it that lights green, yellow, red depending on charge. The strobe is just that--it flashes full intensity on/off for signaling. The SOS feature is similar, but flashed dots and dashes.

+1 for the CX2. Traveled with mine in the case it came with, no issues of accidental turning on, unless it also accidentally turned itself off too and I wasn't aware of it :giggle:

That being said there are other good options out there, especially at that price range (or cheaper).

The strobe is just that--it flashes full intensity on/off for signaling. The SOS feature is similar, but flashed dots and dashes.
Ok, so if a dive light has strobe but no SOS function, you'd use strobe as emergency signaling?
+1 for the CX2. Traveled with mine in the case it came with, no issues of accidental turning on, unless it also accidentally turned itself off too and I wasn't aware of it :giggle:

That being said there are other good options out there, especially at that price range (or cheaper).
What seems like a match for what I want (I'm based in the EU) is:
Orcatorch D710: seems nice but has no SOS / strobe and battery needs to be taken out for charging (-> risk of flooding??)
Sofirn SD05: a lot cheaper, good lumen, I think a significantly wider spot but cannot find official numbers, not sure how well it attaches, no indication of remaining battery time (biggest issue in my mind)
CX2: seems like the best option as it doesn't have the above two option's downsides. Am I wrong?
I'll gladly take any other suggestion that is somewhere in that price and size range (not bigger as I want to have it with me on all dives).

Ok, so if a dive light has strobe but no SOS function, you'd use strobe as emergency signaling?

What seems like a match for what I want (I'm based in the EU) is:
Orcatorch D710: seems nice but has no SOS / strobe and battery needs to be taken out for charging (-> risk of flooding??)
Sofirn SD05: a lot cheaper, good lumen, I think a significantly wider spot but cannot find official numbers, not sure how well it attaches, no indication of remaining battery time (biggest issue in my mind)
CX2: seems like the best option as it doesn't have the above two option's downsides. Am I wrong?
I'll gladly take any other suggestion that is somewhere in that price and size range (not bigger as I want to have it with me on all dives).
The Sofirn SD05 does not have a battery indicator. It has dual o-rings on each end, so should be pretty resistant to flooding. It does not have a strobe or SOS, either. I estimate the beam angle at ~12 degrees--definitely wider than the CX2. You'd have to rig up an attachment to a handle.

Before I decided on the CX2 as my primary and SD05 as back up, I was considering the Tovatec Zoom R and Sealife Mini 1200.

Here's a review you might find useful...

This is the same light DRIS used to sell for $120 but can be found on Amazon for $49. My original from DRIS lasted 10 years, and I bought this to replace it. It's the same product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom