Inexpensive Primary Light for Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're pretty close performance-wise, but while the 550 is 1000 lumens v. 1300, it also has longer burn time. And comes with two batteries instead of one. Probably can't go wrong with either.

I own a few of both, I prefer the 530 because of the button location, but they’re both good lights.

DGX 600 and DGX 800 are both solid lights. I've used them for years with no issues.

So I like the items I have purchased from this company as they are well made and I like to support a company to maximize their profit margins.

That said, I prefer hard Goodman handles. Does anyone have experience with this product Cave Adventurers - Dive Rite Handmount, Goodman for MR11/H10/H1000 screwmount - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold! or something similar for mounting a normally handheld light to a hard Goodman handle?

The DGX lights are nice and they are priced well, but I haven't had them hold up. One flooded through the lens and one just died. I've had better luck with the Krakensports lights. I also like the batteries with a USB-C charging port. The Kraken NR-1000 has this feature.

I too have an Ocratorch D530 (button on side, comes with 1x18650 with micro-USB charging port) and a D550 (button on tail, comes with 2x18650, strobe mode). The D530 has a slightly narrower beam, and the physical light is slightly smaller; I can't really tell the difference in the brightness. Both are well-made, with triple (!) o-rings. The Mako light (linked above) is a rebranded D550. Either is plenty bright for Bonaire, even on low power. Both fit easily in a Goodman sock. In a sock, I prefer the tail switch (D550). Clipped on a d-ring, I prefer the side switch (D530).

I would just go for the DGX 300 lumens. Price is satisfactory, and if your children happen to lose it. No great loss. Make sure they use a lanyard.

Reactions: OTF
I use a Underwater Kinetics SL-4 eLED L-1 (I've had it for years now). It uses 4 C-cells, and the C-cells easily last for a one week trip (with use in daytime to highlight something, and for night dives). I don't know that they are easily available anymore.

What I like: The O-ring seal is really solid, the on-off switch is separate (not twist-to-turn-on) and very simple (no complicated failure modes). This light has been very reliable (no issues whatsoever). The rental light that my buddy rented in 2021 was iffy (on-off switch stopped working completely, and looked too complicated to fix--I want to say it was an Ikelite clone to the UK SL-4, but I don't really remember).

Not so much: Removing the batteris and putting new batteries in is a bit of an exercise.

I'm now looking for a backup light--my backup light flooded (it's a twist-to-turn-on, uses AA's, LEDs, but not greatly bright).

Back
Top Bottom