Inexpensive Primary Light for Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Underwater Kinetics SL-4 eLED L-1 (I've had it for years now). It uses 4 C-cells, and the C-cells easily last for a one week trip (with use in daytime to highlight something, and for night dives). I don't know that they are easily available anymore.
My SL3 also uses C-cell batteries, and that’s actually why I bought it. For some reason I found myself with a bunch of C batteries and not a single household flashlight that used them. So, when it was time to get a dive light…

I like the SL3, except for the twist on-off. Don’t like that it takes two hands.

Thanks all. Anyone using Sofirn lights?
I bought one—an SD05. Quite impressive for the price of ~$40 with battery. I really like the rotary magnetic switch. I liked it so much I ordered a second, along with some spare batteries. The second light was DOA. They sent a replacement in a few weeks.

I also have a Dive Rite CX2, which is much nicer and brighter. Also 3x the price.

I’ve got an orcatorch d710 for sale.

I bought one—an SD05. Quite impressive for the price of ~$40 with battery. I really like the rotary magnetic switch. I liked it so much I ordered a second, along with some spare batteries. The second light was DOA. They sent a replacement in a few weeks.

I also have a Dive Rite CX2, which is much nicer and brighter. Also 3x the price.
Thanks. How long did your first purchase take to arrive from China?

Contact Orcatorch Ashley Lee <outdoorequipmentexpert@gmail.com>, they are looking for people to test flashlights and compensating the cost - for Amazon/social media reviews. I am bringing one light from them on my next trip and psyched to try it. I found out about it on this site. Need testers!

Contact Orcatorch Ashley Lee <outdoorequipmentexpert@gmail.com>, they are looking for people to test flashlights and compensating the cost - for Amazon/social media reviews. I am bringing one light from them on my next trip and psyched to try it. I found out about it on this site. Need testers! 👋 Who Are Interested?
Have you heard back from them?

I bought the D530 from Orcatorch and I really like it.

My next one will be the D710.

Here you go.

I'll throw in a vote for the Orcatorch D550. Around $90 or so depending on what deals they currently have on Amazon, comes with a soft glove to wear it on your hand (I'd still keep a tether on it), two batteries, and 1000 lumens. If you buy from Outdoor Equipment Expert on Amazon, they had a deal where they'd throw in a free boltsnap as well. Compared to my old light (Underwater Kinetics SL3) it's silly bright.
Agreed, all around. I got an Orcatorch 550 from Ashley at Outdoor Equipment Expert for review purposes, and I'm quite impressed. I actually used it as a primary light -- on the low setting, too -- down at 120' in a quarry last weekend. It worked like a charm.

(I'll post a review soon, Ashley, I promise. My photographer flaked on me last weekend.)

Thanks. How long did your first purchase take to arrive from China?
FYI: We ship from Virginia and typically on the same day the order was placed, except during holidays or very busy periods.

Also, I should thank several members for positive feedback on MAKO and our light. I do appreciate it.

Thanks
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom