Industrial Oxygen - Hypothetical Scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the oxygen. Even welding oxygen is pure and safe enough to breath at 1 ATA. I would be a little concerned about using it in an emergency dive at depth, but even then it would probably be ok. There won't be a whole lot of impurities other than other air gases. What kind of emergency would require diving nitrox made with welding O2? I can't think of one.
I guess what Im looking for is exactly what you would do as far as administering said gas. You have a welding shop but you don't have a medical demand mask or non rebreather mask. Do you try to Apollo 13/MacGyver a mask out of plastic bags and water bottles? Or do you just stick a rubber hose in their mouth?

I guess what Im looking for is exactly what you would do as far as administering said gas. You have a welding shop but you don't have a medical demand mask or non rebreather mask. Do you try to Apollo 13/MacGyver a mask out of plastic bags and water bottles? Or do you just stick a rubber hose in their mouth?
Why is your buddy so unprepared for a dive trip in a remote area?

And what island doesn’t have some sort of Oxygen delivery system for divers?

Your scenario is becoming less believable.

I would use his scuba reg set, and make him wear his mask so he doesn't breath through his nose.

Stick a plastic bag over his head and run the oxygen hose into it. It will give 100% O2.

A disposable plastic oxygen mask with bag reservoir costs about 4 dollars. Every group of divers should carry at least one in their first aid kit. You could literally plug a welding torch brazing tip into the end of the hose and adjust the oxygen regulator to keep the bag full. Not much different than a DAN O2 kit and a g cylinder of welding oxygen will last hours, enough to give a proper duration for surface O2 treatment.

I mean you really dont have much of a option other then MacGyvering it. Id use a bag or plastic bottle.

Ah yes. The more I read the more nuanced it becomes. With medical oxygen moisture is often added at the bedside BTW. Medical, Industrial, Aviation Oxygen all come from the same production sources using the same separation methods and the only difference is the cost and the paper trail.
They come out of the same tank at the gas supplier. For Medical (and I believe aviation) fills, they pump a vacuum on the tank before filling it.

It’s kinda funny. Two of the first dive shops in the world doing Nitrox 1986 until the 2020’s were using welding grade for every fill every time. Guess how many incidences we had. Zero. Thousands of fills every year for nearly 4 decades.

When I was using pure-oxygen CC rebreathers I always filled the tank with industrial oxygen.
It is far safer than compressed air from crap compressors in shops...

Back
Top Bottom