Indonesian Liveaboard Thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDSC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone ever started to look at the various liveaboard options in Indonesia from scratch? Holy cow! The choices are endless. It looks like there are no less than 30 to 40 liveaboards that do that area in all price ranges.

So I am looking to book an entire liveaboard doing Raja Ampat for sometimes in 2020. I know it's three years out but I typically book that far in advance to get the boat I want when I want it. I go to a website like liveaboard.com and the choices seem endless and all look great. I go on Undercurrent and start reading reports and the vast majority of the time the reports are glowing. I'm not overly concerned about the number of folks the boat will hold as I can make any number work

So my question becomes, should price drive the decision? I'm a real believer in you get what you pay and I started comparing 11 night trips. I look at boats like the Aurora and Samambaia (and others) that look great and get great reviews and then look at boats like the Dewi Neusantara and Damai II which are also fantastic. The latter two are right at $2000 more per person for an 11 night trip then the first two. So what am I getting for that $2000 other than perhaps a larger boat that may be more luxurious? Bigger cabins maybe but how much time do you spend in your cabin?

Anyway, would love to hear/read anyone's thoughts on the subject.

Last edited:
3 years out is a little far out there. So much can change in that amount of time. Given the qty of choices you have gives you more time before booking, not less.

When you compare liveaboards that serve the same area, price differences are usually based on luxury. If I am with my wife or solo makes a big difference on what I look for luxury wise and affects how much time spent in the cabin. Have you looked at the cabin differences ? Some are huge and look like hotel rooms at a tropical land resort. Only your can answer whether or not that is worth $2,000 more.

3 years out is a little far out there. So much can change in that amount of time. Given the qty of choices you have gives you more time before booking, not less.

The older I get the faster that three years comes around. Last year I was booking the Bilikiki for the Solomons in 2019 as well as the Rocio Del Mar for the Socorros in 2019. When you want the entire boat in prime season it's what you have to do a lot of times. Both of those trips are full with a waitlist. I was surprised when I was at DEMA last year just how many trips on the Bilikiki were already booked into 2019.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

The older I get the faster that three years comes around. Last year I was booking the Bilikiki for the Solomons in 2019 as well as the Rocio Del Mar for the Socorros in 2019. When you want the entire boat in prime season it's what you have to do a lot of times. Both of those trips are full with a waitlist. I was surprised when I was at DEMA last year just how many trips on the Bilikiki were already booked into 2019.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
You are correct, three years will come around before you know it. These trips, especially Raja Ampat, tend to book out 2-3 years out. The Aurora is a very spacious vessel at 140 ft in length and a maximum passenger occupancy of 16. There are also 14 crew members to ensure you have a 5-star experience.

I did not realize you are booking a charter for the whole boat. That really changes the time for advance booking. If I was booking the whole boat, I would not be looking at high end luxury.

My bad for not reading your post more closely.

I'll be visiting most all the liveaboard operators when I go to DEMA this year. All four I mentioned will be there as well as others. I will leave there booking one of them but just don't know which one yet. Might end up being determined by what specials they are running, if any.

Booking a whole boat I imagine the crew will cater to your needs, so this question may be of limited value, but I'll throw it in anyway; any idea to what extent the predominance of English-speaking varies amongst the popular boats?

I ask because we're talking about a region far removed from the U.S., which is help up as some of the best diving in the world, so it's on the bucket list for a lot of U.S.-based divers. I hope to make it out one time, someday.

Richard.

I suspect that while not every single crew member would be fluent in English, I've not heard of that being a problem with any of them.

I have you man but those two trips filled up before I even booked them as folks knew I was going to do it. When I book the Indonesian trip I'll send you the info for sure and if you want a space you got it.

Ash

Back
Top Bottom