Indonesia Vs. Fiji?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wandererlaowai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All!

I apologize if my question has already been raised before.

I have a PADI AOW certification but only about 30 dives on my log, mostly because I do not live close enough to beautiful dive sites to enjoy this weekly.

I am considering where I should go for holidays in August, and I want to focus on diving - but cultural activities on the side are always a bonus.

I've been looking at Fiji and though it seems attractive based on reviews / comments, I'm wondering if the diving is that good to justify the cost of the trip there (flights + accomm + dives would definitely not be cheap).

I have been to Indonesia in the last years and I dived in Bunaken last summer, which was amazing to me! I have since been also to Jordan and Thailand but haven't felt the same "wow" feeling when diving in those places.

So, to make it short, Is Fiji worth the time and money Vs. Indonesia (cheaper + closer)?

Any other places you'd recommend for next month, in Asia or Oceania?

Thanks already!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've been to both Raja Ampat and the Bligh Waters in Fiji. Both are great, but I would not recommend going to Raja Ampat with only 30 dives; the currents can be very strong. Just remember that in August the water in Fiji may be colder than you would expect. We were diving with people in 3mm and they froze!

--Thumbsplitter

I recommend Nakia Resort and their dive operation Taveuni Ocean Sports. We have been there four times. The TripAdvisor reviews are accurate. They will take good care of you no matter your dive experience.

If you thought Bunaken was WOW then RA will blow your mind!!!
Yes RA does have current but honestly in 28 dives I did there only two of them were tough fast current dives.
The resorts and Live aboards will always put you in the right place at your level...just make sure you stay with a good safety conscious resort. So rather stay away from the home stays.

OR you could just spend your time around Bali and get great diving (some would argue better than Bunaken) and some amazing cultural top side activities, and it will be significantly cheaper than Fiji.

Do you have suggestions of dive centers in RA? I've been thinking a lot about this place too, just was concerned with strong currents based on reviews.

On the other hand, I could also simply do Bali / Gili / Bunaken / Lembeh and get some practice while enjoying cultural activities too.

Depends on your budget. I've been to these 3 dive resorts: Raja Ampat Dive Lodge (RADL), Raja4 Divers Resort (R4D) and Misool Eco Resort (MER), which RADL being the least expensive & MER being the most expensive. However all 3 are worthwhile visits. My latest one was R4D, as reported here: Pulau Pef - Little Raja Ampat Trip Report

I was in Fiji last month, and of all the dive destinations in Indonesia I have only scratched the surface with Bali, Komodo and north Sulawesi--I have yet to make it as far as the fabled Raja Ampat. As you know, Indonesia covers a huge area, and there is a lot more than Bunaken (north Sulawesi). If your time and budget can accommodate such a highly rated destination as Raja Ampat, do it. But given a choice between Fiji and something similar to Bunaken, I might choose Fiji. The soft corals in Fiji were amazing. Fiji certainly took a lot of time and money from the US (11 hour flight from Los Angeles), but I felt it was a worthy destination.

Bunaken is not a good yard stick to be measuring Indo with. There are a myriad of places in Indo better than Bunaken....heck even Bangka (20km south of Bunaken) is better than Bunaken!

IF you have the budget for Fiji then DEFINITELY look into Raja. Dan_T gave a few options and there are a bunch others.
BUT August is just around the corner...so you better get cracking...

You could look at a Live-aboard for either RA or Komodo (most boats are in Komodo right now) some are offering some last minute specials.

I know the Indo Siren fleet was offering specials (Liveaboard special offers - Siren Fleet) and so was the Aggressor fleet...other may too.

Scuba Junkie in Komodo is my suggestion.
Alternative is Southern Leyte in Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom