Indiana woman dies diving Vandenberg - Key West, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, so someone else is responsible for "our" collective obesity and cardiac disease. We ate the crap. We all collectively voted for more of it by buying it like no drunk sailor could.

I ate the crap, I own the disease.

Sorry, I don't go for the blame shifting.

Everything else you wrote is right-on, except for your opinion that 60 is not old age. Trust me, old age begins for relatively healthy people at 60. I know, I am healthy and 60. Most of my 60 year-plus friends and family are old people, I am the lucky one. Just look at us and our medical issues.

thanks,
m
I think maybe the intended point was that, with proper lifestyle choices (diet, exercise, sleep, etc.) 60 does not need to be "old age". I know plenty of folks in their 60's who are incredibly fit and could run circles around folks in their 30's and 40's. The only caveat is that the older you get the harder you have to work to maintain fitness and, regardless of your efforts, you will need to adjust activites to diminshing capabilities at some point - but that does not need to be in your 60's!

Also, I'm not saying that the Sugar/Food Industry and the Government don't have a part in this health problem - especially for less educated and affluent folks who many not have acecss or means to eat healthier. However, in this information age, folks really do need to edcuate themselves and own their decisions!

Nothing is bias-free, but I found the documentarry "Fed Up" pretty compelling overall...

Trust me, old age begins for relatively healthy people at 60. I know, I am healthy and 60. Most of my 60 year-plus friends and family are old people, I am the lucky one. Just look at us and our medical issues.

Oh, crap. And I thought I turned to s**t sometime after 40... another one to look forward to.

Ah, so someone else is responsible for "our" collective obesity and cardiac disease

I took Swimbody's comment as relating to heart disease, not obesity.

Ancel Key's deceitful seven countries study was largely responsible for the US govt recommending that all Americans reduce fat and increase carbs to 55-60% of daily calories, and was accompanied by both a massive upsurge in high fructose corn syrup in food, and an upsurge in heart attacks.

Table sugar (sucrose) is made up of 50/50 glucose and fructose. Fructose has to be converted to fat in the liver. Fructose in large quantities causes blocked arteries.

The people you hold in such contempt may simply be following government recommendations so yes, someone else may well be responsible for "our" collective cardiac disease, by encouraging people to swap bacon and eggs for fruit loops.

I know plenty of folks in their 60's who are incredibly fit and could run circles around folks in their 30's and 40's.

The only caveat is that the older you get the harder you have to work to maintain fitness and, regardless of your efforts, you will need to adjust activites to diminshing capabilities at some point

Hi Jonelli,

I agree with your points above; in concurrence, those 60 year old athletes must train like nobodies business and, that is if they don't have preexisting conditions and prosthetics. My peers, including myself, must train twice as hard and long to accomplish the feat that you describe. When I stop exercising, I lose fitness incredibly fast. I am not as resilient as I used to be. I am not as "tough" as I used to be.

I have some friends who were athletes. Two of them died while performing their normal exercise routines. One was revived and survived because an ER nurse watched him go down and EMTs arrived in less than two minutes. A coworkers husband, who was not obese, nor did he show outward signs of coronary disease, died on his front lawn. Through the extraordinary response of a neighbor and an almost immediate arrival of EMTs, he was saved. 60 is not the new 40, trust me.

The people you hold in such contempt

Where did you get that from? Nice adhominem. I believe in personal responsibility and free will. You are completely free to make poor dietary and lifestyle choices for yourself all day long, just don't blame me or society at large for your decisions. I don't want to pay for your lousy decisions.

My point was this: Look in the mirror first before blaming someone else.

My current life is the result of all of the decisions I have made up to this point. I did it to myself; good and bad decisions. I am in a good place; I have done OK. I live in a mostly free society--I did it to myself.

To iterate, I ate the crap, I own the disease.

I am hoping we get more information on the decedent. I hope her family gains closure. I am focusing on diving within my skillset and physical fitness capabilities. I am that old b*st*rd. The odds are not on my side of the equation, even though I am relatively healthy.

cheers,
m

I have some friends who were athletes. Two of them died while performing their normal exercise routines. One was revived and survived because an ER nurse watched him go down and EMTs arrived in less than two minutes. A coworkers husband, who was not obese, nor did he show outward signs of coronary disease, died on his front lawn. Through the extraordinary response of a neighbor and an almost immediate arrival of EMTs, he was saved.
Athletes? Well, I am far from such, pretty lazy really, but I do get my lazy butt to the gym a few times a week, and it's connected to this small farm town's hospital. There is always a licensed trainer in the building even if she's in the office with a glass door. I guess my odds are better there than when I mow my grass or spade my flower beds as there's usually no one else in sight, and our volunteer first responders will take some time to get to the firehouse, load up, and go. My younger home dive bud and younger best bud from the Marines died in recent years from cardiovascular problems, and those losses served as a variety of reminders.

I take it easy on dives nowadays after surviving the flights and luggage transportation of getting there, and I hope that I don't cause an emergency for my dive Op and family back home to deal with. Honestly, I think I am higher risk driving to town or the airport.

I've never been to the Vandenburg but my perception from reading on the board is that no current is the exception and current is the rule there. Since you can't just unhook and drift dive like in other vacation spots, and you're doing this exertion at 100 feet deep and it's relentless, it's a workout like many people don't do. Not sure this was the poor lady's problem but it's a test for everyone who tries it.

Markmud's comments about people dying are very enlightening. Not completely surprising but certainly an eye opener and how "healthly" people can go so easily. Though my first thought was that my trying go right now and mow a lawn in the humidity of Ohio would probably kill me too.

I also don't think that most people are getting any info, positive or negative, from the gubment about what to eat. The problem is really the only info they do get is from TV, either 10,000 calorie sloppy burgers or powder and water miracle cures. Or "you don't have to change your lifestyle just take this pill" and the "weight watchers eat all the wrong foods but our version so you are sure to have to do this again". And all the good info you get from friends via Facebook.

It takes effort to do the right thing.

trying go right now and mow a lawn in the humidity of Ohio would probably kill me too.

You'd probably get some funny looks for mowing your lawn in January, but I think you'd be able to manage the humidity.

When my yard service plows my lawn instead of my driveway, I am very unhappy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom