Independent Doubles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand your perspective Andy and don't mind the discussion with you at all. Everybody benefits when all the cards are laid out on the table and different POV's/applications are explored. I don't encourage or discourage anyone to adopt any sort of system really; I just descibe my system how I dive it and why.

And solo-ists the sidemounted tanks. Leaving the lowly independent doubles diver without the capacity to share all of his (or her) gas effectively with a teammate. Nor able to troubleshoot problems and/or swap regs by himself with the tanks up front.

There's a reason no agency actually teaches independents (at least here in the States, maybe BSAC or CMAS have a course in these). The setup is obsolete.

You're the only lowly diver here rj. You're so stuck in one mode of diving you can't even grasp the discussion at hand. The OP is doing OW dives. In that regard:

1.) I've always got 1000psi I can donate to an OOA diver in any OW dive How much more do they need?

2.) What problem can you troubleshoot with MD's that I can't troubleshoot with ID's - be specific please.

3.) What reg swapping are you talking about? My regs and hose routing are the same as any HOG rigged doubles. What can you do that I can't in that regard - be specific please.

4.) Flavor of the month does not a viable option make. Nobody teaches how to dive with horsecollars either but they still make darn fine BCD's. If you are a follower then yeah, ID's are probably not for you. I suggest a rolled up sports blazer and no socks like those guys on Miami Vice. I never worried too much about fitting into a mold myself.

1.) I've always got 1000psi I can donate to an OOA diver in any OW dive How much more do they need?

Oh boy... :D

I see someone arguing that 1000psi will not be enough for a 250' OW deco dive so I went back and corrected it :D

Context is everything and I was always taught that "situational awareness" was important in diving. I am responding to the OP and the diving conditions he describes. If someone wants to debate the value of ID's for 39,000' cave dives that would be a different thread.

I see someone arguing that 1000psi will not be enough for a 250' OW deco dive so I went back and corrected it :D

It's just very ambiguous what you mean by "having 1000psi to donate." Are you talking about AL80s? Do you mean you actually always have 2000psi (1000 to donate, 1000 for yourself), or 1000 between two divers?

My understanding is that at a stressed breathing rate, 1000psi in an AL80 may not even be enough for a 100ft NDL dive.

LOL you guys crack me up. :rofl3: Operating an islator is EXTREMELY easy if you ever practice. You make it sound like such a difficult task.

So is mask clearing and various other skills but they take a while for some people. From what I've seen some people struggle or have no idea what to do...

That's how I feel when I hear people diss'ing independant doubles. It's EXTREMELY easy to dive them. You guys make it sound like such a difficult task :wink:

The guy asked a question - I gave an answer. I've debated the gas access issue in the thread I linked in post 2 but if there is any other "worst of sidemount/worst of backmount points that anyone wants to bring up I'm all ears. Just be prepared to defend them because my BS meter is all charged up.

If one doesn't dive ID's and doesn't have anything substantial to add, why post into the thread anyways. Is sarcasm an internet diving skill I'm not aware of? It's funny how a member of SB is trying to dispel certain perceptions in one thread while others are perpetuating them here.

So because I think people complaining about diving a manifolded set of doubles is too hard is a ridiculous idea that means I'm a big mean DIR bully? PLEASE, grow up. I simply posted my opinion just like you have. Personally you can dive with 2 tanks strapped to your wrists with a long hose wrapped around your ankles for all I care, but if you're going to start crying about a manifold being difficult to operate... well that's where I have to comment.:popcorn:

So is mask clearing and various other skills but they take a while for some people. From what I've seen some people struggle or have no idea what to do...

Here's an idea then... instead of trying to "learn" how to dive doubles on the internet why not go out and find an instructor and get in the water with them and dive and.... dare I say it, actually LEARN.:popcorn:

It's just very ambiguous what you mean by "having 1000psi to donate." Are you talking about AL80s? Do you mean you actually always have 2000psi (1000 to donate, 1000 for yourself), or 1000 between two divers?

My understanding is that at a stressed breathing rate, 1000psi in an AL80 may not even be enough for a 100ft NDL dive.

Yep, I got that. I'm describing my Al80's for rec OW dives usually in the 100' range. If I am going deeper I adjust accordingly. I have at least 1000psi in both tanks when I begin my ascent (so yes 2000 total). From there I adjust my reserve values if I want to linger at shallower depths. Lamont has a good link to rock bottom calculations in his signature line.

Here's an idea then... instead of trying to "learn" how to dive doubles on the internet why not go out and find an instructor and get in the water with them and dive and.... dare I say it, actually LEARN.:popcorn:

Some people are really not very open to being told that they really need assistance or instruction... I agree that this would be ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom