Incredible PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leroy Barclay:
Hi there,

Did you know PADI's Discover Scuba Diving DVD is only available in english? That's right, other versions don't exist! Now how long has DVD been around? Five, ten years? I just can't understand that the world's largest dive educator, the people who teach the world how to dive, don't offer the DVD in different languages. Incredible.:confused:

What do you think?

Cheers, Leroy

Do you really need this junk??

I think this should be moved to the Whine and Cheese section.

JeffG:
I think this should be moved to the Whine and Cheese section.

I second that.

Leroy Barclay:
Hi there,

Did you know PADI's Discover Scuba Diving DVD is only available in english? That's right, other versions don't exist! Now how long has DVD been around? Five, ten years? I just can't understand that the world's largest dive educator, the people who teach the world how to dive, don't offer the DVD in different languages. Incredible.:confused:

What do you think?

Cheers, Leroy

Do you want it to show students? I ask since your profile says you are a PADI instructor. I can't see using a dvd as an instructional tool for DSD since every where I have seen it taught, it is taught waterside. The flip chart seems more than adequate. I'd be willing to bet that PADI didn't produce it in other languages because there was little demand for it in english.

Hoyden:
Do you want it to show students? I ask since your profile says you are a PADI instructor. I can't see using a dvd as an instructional tool for DSD since every where I have seen it taught, it is taught waterside. The flip chart seems more than adequate. I'd be willing to bet that PADI didn't produce it in other languages because there was little demand for it in english.
If you ARE going to create a DVD for Discover Scuba Diving and put it in the standards, then have the DVD available in different languages. I'm sure you've never worked for a tourist resort outside the US, have you? FYI, there are also people diving outside the US.

Cheers, Leroy

Leroy,

Let me repeat myself. If you are actually trying to resolve an issue (the issue being you need materials to use to conduct a DSD in a non-english speaking country) then use the OW dvd.

If you're not trying to resolve an issue, and are therefore just griping, please go away.

Which is it?

kari

Leroy Barclay:
If you ARE going to create a DVD for Discover Scuba Diving and put it in the standards, then have the DVD available in different languages. I'm sure you've never worked for a tourist resort outside the US, have you? FYI, there are also people diving outside the US.

Cheers, Leroy

Hi Leroy,

My PADI manual does not require the use of the video as one of the standards, although it is "recommended". The only teaching requirements listed are the discover scuba diving cue cards or discover scuba diving flip chart.

Hope this helps sort out your issue.

Leroy Barclay:
Hi there,

What do you think?

Cheers, Leroy

Just order one from another agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom