Increasing crime in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't the crime on Bonaire ...//...

You're messing with the system. :wink:

Between the TSA (both ways) and 'issues du jour' abroad, I'm quite happy just buying new gear with my hard-earned money (instead of airplane tickets and gratuitous attention) and diving the New Jersey boats. Soooo much safer...

Three trips and no issues but then again, we use common sense precautions. The same precautions I use traveling in the US. Interestingly, I recently had the same advice about leaving nothing in the vehicle when parked at BHB in Florida!

South Florida, where I live, has a much, much, much worse crime problem than Bonaire.
There isn't much crime where I live, but I have lived in worse places, and I don't find this argument—which always comes up—very persuasive. If I have to worry about crime when I am on vacation it is not much of a vacation. That aside, when I lived in Chicago, for example, I knew which areas to avoid, so even though the city had its share of crime, it didn't have much impact on me. (Avoiding Cabrini-Green was not an imposition.)

Having said that, I don't worry about crime when I visit Bonaire. I do take steps to avoid it, however. Again, nothing that is an imposition. I stay in a secure resort. I follow the instructions of my truck rental agency (they have changed at A&B).

In four visits I have never witnessed or heard second-hand of any crime.

Everywhere on Earth there are large #'s of people, there is crime.

We often don't think about it because some types of vacation (e.g.: cruise ship tours where you don't stay overnight, or some resort locations where people seldom leave guarded grounds) don't expose you to much.

In Bonaire, divers mostly shore dive, usually leaving easily identified rental trucks abandoned on shore for 45 minutes to an hour. Other divers know it. Locals know it. A lot of locals are poor by our standards, and there's bound to be a population of drug users looking to fund their next fix. So petty theft from vehicles can be an issue, if you leave something to steal.

So don't do that.

Now, the sort of scenario TS&M posted of, where someone steals a truck or significant component (e.g.: battery or tire, or siphons the has out), that is another issue. I can't cram the truck in an Otterbox to wear in my pocket while I shore dive. It's my understanding that this sort of crime, while miserable and outrageous, is as yet pretty rare.

If that's changing, it could be a big issue.

Richard.

P.S.: I've been 7 times, 4 of those with a group. On one trip somebody or bodies had something stolen out of a vehicle, if memory serves, and on one trip a woman found her new BCD in the gear room had been changed with a worn old one (of the same brand, apparently), but I don't think we can blame the BCD thing on poor kids. I don't leave my Cobalt in plain sight in gear rooms; it's not always just the locals we need be mindful of.

From what I can gather crime is not a problem that should effect your planning and enjoying your trip. I have never felt unsafe anywhere on the island at any time. That can't be said about other places and islands. Crime is an issue as far as petty thefts from trucks when shore diving. I have read about more serious crime, break ins and theft from rooms. From what I have learned, some of these may be isolated incidents and not a sign of an island wide problem. Common sense is the rule in Bonaire just as it is anywhere else you travel. Dont leave valuables lying around and in plain sight. Keep your room locked at night and when out. If you are concerned about security at Capt Dons, contact them and have frank conversation as to what security they provide and what has been their history.

My main concern is that I will be travelling alone. Assuming that properly secured valuables (money, credit cards, passport, land camera kit etc in room safe) are safe in a reputed resort like The Habitat, the only way I can shore dive outside of the house reefs would be to join a group. But people travelling and diving together are unlikely to let a stranger join them. But if by some chance 4 or 5 of us get together and rent a truck, is there the possibility of hiring a local to remain in the vehicle while we are out diving? If shared by all concerned, his fee should work out reasonable for individuals.

One needs certain things after a dive - water bottles, towel etc. Also, clothes have to be left behind in the vehicle. One cannot take everything necessary on the actual dive.

My main concern is that I will be travelling alone. Assuming that properly secured valuables (money, credit cards, passport, land camera kit etc in room safe) are safe in a reputed resort like The Habitat, the only way I can shore dive outside of the house reefs would be to join a group. But people travelling and diving together are unlikely to let a stranger join them. But if by some chance 4 or 5 of us get together and rent a truck, is there the possibility of hiring a local to remain in the vehicle while we are out diving? If shared by all concerned, his fee should work out reasonable for individuals.

One needs certain things after a dive - water bottles, towel etc. Also, clothes have to be left behind in the vehicle. One cannot take everything necessary on the actual dive.

I would not hesitate to shore dive alone in Bonaire if crime is the only concern. And I am a poor weak female. Just go to one of the more popular sites, look for other divers and magic, you are alone no longer! And there are plenty of dive options at other resorts and dive centers where you will certainly not be alone. If you are talking about solo diving, rather than just the crime issue with being alone, then you must decided your comfort level with that option. As to finding willing buddies, I think many good suggestions were posted in your other thread on how to find a dive buddy in Bonaire. It is usually not difficult. It"s a different mentality there, divers are not strangers...

I have been to Curacao four times and Bonaire once. There are a lot similar stories and incidents of petty theft on both islands. I followed the precautions and never had an issue. When leaving back my cheap pair of flip flops(can't call them thongs anymore) and bottles of water, I keep things spread out and separate from each other(some in the bed of the truck, others in the back seat). My logic is perhaps that these thieves are in a hurry and more tempted to abscond with items packed neatly in a bag versus, the tedium of looking for remaining items.

I have read disturbing stories of burglars breaking into occupied rooms through screen doors and windows. That crosses the line between a disturbing nuisance to downright scary and threatening. I remember when in Cozumel a couple of years ago there was an American who had her purse and bag of groceries snatched off her arm by a person on a scooter. The locals held a candlelight vigil in front of town hall to pressure the authorities to take these crimes seriously. Even though Cozumel has not fallen victim to the rash of crime prevalent in other parts of Mexico, the number of tourists have been significantly down due to misinformation and blanket travel advisories. Fortunately, the people of Cozumel are aware that crime is a blemish on the travel industry and are at least taking on a proactive approach. I wish this behavior was modeled in other parts of the Caribbean as well. Word gets around and people will make other travel plans. Take Jamaica for example.

Habitat has SOME security. The room safes are too small for laptops, a small tablet will fit, a housed camera will not with the exception of truly small housings--for example my Canon S95 and Canon housing will fit, but would not with an external strobe. Security may call you if they see some windows unlocked---but some locks are semi broken or rusted open or somesuch in the Oasis Bungalows for example as of last month.

I have listened to complaints from expats, locals, and tourists over the years and know of some burglary issues from past years at Habitat and elsewhere. I have not had a problem in 15-20 trips since 1986 and have stayed in various resorts. However, take a walk in a residential area and you will see substantial walls, dogs, bars on windows, and suspicious homeowners. Use your good judgement. These people know what's up!! It's not internet bs to them!

But if by some chance 4 or 5 of us get together and rent a truck, is there the possibility of hiring a local to remain in the vehicle while we are out diving? If shared by all concerned, his fee should work out reasonable for individuals.

Few would see the need to hire a guard for a rental truck, particularly if you leave nothing to steal & the doors unlocked & windows down.

You might be surprised how little can be left behind. No need to leave clothes. There's no need to change after a dive. Ride home in what you dove in; it's not that far. A nice, beat up old towel from home is unappealing to thieves, serves your purpose & is no great loss if taken.

Get a little water-proof plastic box made for divers, that can hold your keys, driver's license & a $20 &/or credit card, & put that in your BCD pocket.

Grab a good-sized plastic bottle of soda at a grocery store. Drink it. That's now your water bottle for the week. Tap water is drinkable on Bonaire, and tastes fine.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom