Increasing crime in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skip Bonaire..... Dive Curacao :)

I enjoyed Curacao, until we discovered Bonaire. We haven't been back to the bigger island since.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

Not that we wouldn't return to Curacao someday, but we prefer the smaller, less rushed and crowded atmosphere of Bonaire

However, in traveling many other places in the world Bonaire is the first place I have visited where people are told to leave nothing in the vehicle and leave the windows down. Leaving the windows down goes beyond the typical home or travel precautions. And for that that, the island does deserve every bit of the bad rap they get. Regardless if this thread is the first or last.

I think 'it's the 1st place I've visited where…' is a big factor. Consider a couple of vaguely analogous situations.

1.) Someone in the country, who never worries about locking his doors or leaving possessions laying around the yard, moves to the suburbs. Suddenly it's necessary to lock the doors, not leave valuables (e.g.: push mower, kid's bicycle) out in the yard, etc… And he hears of occasional neighborhood break ins.

2.) A friend of mine who spent time in New York City mentioned a habit of some people carrying 2 wallets; one's got some money but no credit cards, driver's license, etc…, so if you get mugged, you give the mugger the one with just money. I think he got mugged once.

To people who live in these areas, or travel to them often, it's 'just the way things are.' If you're not used to having to comport yourself in accordance with these precautions, they seem onerous and indicative of a dangerous environment. What is wrong with those people? That sort of thing.

The usual petty theft from vehicles is what is seen as common and fairly easily prevented with the usual recommended measures. For many of us, not a big deal.

The unusual crime, such as stealing & burning a truck or breaking into a residence & stealing from a safe, that's far & away another story, but it happens everywhere, so do you have any reason to believe these, oh, let's call them 'major' crimes are higher risk on Bonaire?

'Cause you can find hair raising stories in a lot of places. I've read some spooky stuff about St. Thomas, Nassau & I think Roatan, yet nobody seems to post lots of threads about how scary those places are.

Richard.

Skip Bonaire..... Dive Curacao :)

Curacao? The island with 20 homicides and 500 armed robberies per year? The island where politicians are gunned down on public beaches? The island with 10 times the total population and 6 times the population density of Bonaire? The island with 5 Prime Ministers in the last 5 years? The island that increased cruise ship tourism by 41% from 2012 to 2013?

No thanks.

Whoops... almost forgot this: :wink:

HOLY POPE!!!
Can this topic get any worse? Please, WWGuy said it best, I can only say this in recognition of his post
: bonaire is not an island you want to flash your jewels, obviously from all the crime posts, so Put your ego high falutin diamonds and jewels behind you when you come to Bonaire!!.Keep them safe at home. This is NOT your island if you need that. Bonaire is a proud people and the jewels they get are the rewards they get when they do a good job. So keep your precious jewels at home.,
Bonaire is casual, yet not dirty casual, clean casual. no pretense.
Yes there are those that have come to the island that have infected it with thievery. I cannot answer to that. Only the 30 years I have seen the children of the people I have known grow up. And let me assure you they are not the ones doing the thievery.Windsurf champions, making the island proud, chefs, making the island proud,,scholars making a difference in the ecology of the ocean, hard workers making the island grow, service people who love to promote the heart of the island, it is those that are not rooted on the island now that make the crimes. I truely believe that.
A long time ago there were some petty thefts, flip flops, towels, swim shorts, , yes the islanders were accused of doing this.. .Was it a prank or a dare?? probably, but, its a small island, and kids do what it is they do... a little challenge?? ( yet no broken into cars no broken windows )remember when you were young!! we do not know . hopefully the island immigration service will be more strick on those that are coming now and patrol the waters for fast boats and also patrol those known peoples on the island and the known neighborhoods where those that dont have or want to work that think they can take from those that have worked so hard to get what they have.
I witnessed a great patrol of Bonaire polite on bikes!! WOW I believe they new polite will be in control of this islands bad people. I believe they are doing what they can now to control it in support of tourism, divers and especially the cruise lines.
I will support them anyway I can.
So that is what I think of this thread!!! End

DeeDeeDiver:

If you're referring to Allen Raphael's post on the jewels issue, consider this part:

My wife had literally purchased a new diamond ring at 5:00PM and it was stolen by 9:00PM.

Evidently they bought the ring on Bonaire. I imagine the local jewelers want tourists to buy their products. And it was put in a safe in a room, not flaunted before the poor populace.

We wanted to contribute to the local economy and potentially move here closer to retirement but I've frankly sworn this place off. Such a shame.

So the costs to the local economy may be much higher.

As for who steals, whether it's local grade schoolers, teenagers, immigrant adults…most people don't much care. Their stuff got stolen. Perp.'s age, country/neighborhood of origin, just not that important to the individual victim. It would matter to the police considering crime deterrence options.

Richard.

A lot has changed in NYC since the 1970s or 1980s, when people worried a lot about getting mugged. It is not "the way things are" anymore:

"According to a 2015 ranking of 50 cities by The Economist, New York was the 10th overall safest major city in the world..."

Safe Cities Index 2015 Infographic

A lot has changed in NYC since the 1970s or 1980s, when people worried a lot about getting mugged. It is not "the way things are" anymore:

"According to a 2015 ranking of 50 cities by The Economist, New York was the 10th overall safest major city in the world..."

Safe Cities Index 2015 Infographic

Overall criminal activity is down.. But I can tell you there are many places you would not want to be at night... They cleaned up times square... But the south Bronx and east new York or Jamaica are still drug and crime ridden... Cars are still a prime target... I travel to new York's huntspolnt market every week, They have cleaned it up a bit, But still hookers and truck freight high jackings... My in-laws live in Richmond hill, Queens NYC and their car is ran sacked a few times a year.

Jim..

Thank you for the Mainer's guide to NYC. :wink:

I grew up on the Lower East Side and South Brooklyn, so I know that NYC has some rough spots (though the ones I grew up in are no longer among them). Tell me which city of ~8 million does not?

There is no reason a tourist would go to East New York, or Hunts Point. Anyplace a tourist is likely to go is very safe. But yes, it is certainly a good idea to be conscious of the no-go areas.

you make some good points, but no i wasnt referring to the people that purchased jewelry.... just people in general that bring their bling.

DeeDeeDiver:

If you're referring to Allen Raphael's post on the jewels issue, consider this part:

Evidently they bought the ring on Bonaire. I imagine the local jewelers want tourists to buy their products. And it was put in a safe in a room, not flaunted before the poor populace.

So the costs to the local economy may be much higher.

As for who steals, whether it's local grade schoolers, teenagers, immigrant adults…most people don't much care. Their stuff got stolen. Perp.'s age, country/neighborhood of origin, just not that important to the individual victim. It would matter to the police considering crime deterrence options.

Richard.

Thank you for the Mainer's guide to NYC. :wink:

I grew up on the Lower East Side and South Brooklyn, so I know that NYC has some rough spots (though the ones I grew up in are no longer among them). Tell me which city of ~8 million does not?

There is no reason a tourist would go to East New York, or Hunts Point. Anyplace a tourist is likely to go is very safe. But yes, it is certainly a good idea to be conscious of the no-go areas.

I lived in Queens New York, Liberty ave and 128th street... Went to John Adams High school... Moved to Maine to raise a family, But still worked in ny for 10 years traveling 10 days on 4 days off. Than started trucking and guess where I was sent every trip ? YEP, NYC... :wink: I know NEW YORK CITY...

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom