Inadequete Drysuit Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
at minimum, you should have learned:

1. how to react to a runaway drysuit inflation valve

2. how to right yourself if your feet get too bouyant and get away from you

3. how to control drysuit squeeze

did you learn those things?

All the above is correct for some of the water work..
To earn a dry suit speciality there are also academics to be completed.
Learning how maintain,repair,care for the suit.Different materials used in construction of suit.Different options for undergarments.Those are just a few of the topics to be covered.The academics alone can take 4 to 6 hrs of classroom time.Then a confined water session along with 2 ow dives.
At the LDS I teach for we offer a full speciality course with an INSTRUCTOR on purchase of a suit.

4-6 hours of classroom time? You've got to be nuts. This isn't rocket science. I must say, though, that the PADI dry suit manual was actually pretty good. I'd suggest anyone not planning to do a "formal" course take a look at this manual. If after reading it you still think you need 4-6 hours of classroom time, well...

NWGratefulDiver:
That works great until the day you need to rent a drysuit ... then you'll have trouble finding someone to rent you one unless you produce a card that says you're qualified to use it.

FWIW - I don't have a drysuit card either.
I agree. Actually my buddies that have hundreds of dry dives, don't have their cert. My photographer friend with over 1000 dry dives was turned away by a dive shop for not having the cert card when he was without a suit and needed to rent. He was pretty pissed, but really those are the rules of the game. They're also thinking of taking the Advanced so that they can go on a boat charter below 60ft. Part of me thinks the requirement of having the cert card for these scenarios is silly (it will provide false-positives and false-negatives), but the other part can't really think of a better system.

NWGratefulDiver:
I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of ScubaBoarders are PADI certified divers ...
Agreed too, I was thinking more about their ancilliary courses (other than OW, ADV, Rescue). From what I've seen, the percieved value of those courses to most people on SB is quite a bit lower. My point is that while it may seem low to many on SB, that doens't mean they don't serve a purpose, and aren't of value to others.

Craig

Rainer:
4-6 hours of classroom time? You've got to be nuts. This isn't rocket science. I must say, though, that the PADI dry suit manual was actually pretty good. I'd suggest anyone not planning to do a "formal" course take a look at this manual. If after reading it you still think you need 4-6 hours of classroom time, well...

I agree, the manual has good information. I imagine that the 4-6 hours of class-time is for people that don't read the manual (or can't envision the concepts). Likely if you know nothing of drysuits, you'll want more than self-directed studies.

The knowledge review was a bit painful for me. Four pages of questions, worded almost identically to the chapter review questions you've just completed (which are worded almost identically to the sentences the page before). It seemed like it was about the most basic test of knowledge you could create. I'd have liked to see some interesting questions in there that didn't just test your short-term memory (or page flipping) ability.

And, why draw the line at 6 drysuit materials? If you include all of coated fabric, trilaminate, neoprene, crushed neoprene, vulcanized rubber, and composite of the above, why not add semi-compressed neoprene, bilaminate, quadflex, etc, etc? I was getting bored writing the answers to these low-brow questions, and by the time I got to the "what 6 types of materials are drysuits made of" question, I wrote the 6th answer:

6. [-]Steel Wool[/-] Composite

Instructor laughed at my humourous bit of protest.

Craig

Rainer:

Your answer just shows how little you know..Yes it takes that long to do it right..how long do you think it should take to show how to replace wrist and neck seals and actually do them? How about locating and repairing leaks on different materials.If you took a dry suit speciality somewhere and did not learn/do these things you missed out.

oly5050user:
Your answer just shows how little you know..Yes it takes that long to do it right..how long do you think it should take to show how to replace wrist and neck seals and actually do them? How about locating and repairing leaks on different materials.If you took a dry suit speciality somewhere and did not learn/do these things you missed out.

Most divers take the course to learn how to dive the dry suit, not how to change seals. Do you also cover dry suit manufacturing, so your students can make their own? That'd also be doing it right, correct? If I need to know how to change seals, I'll ask a friend.

Rainer:
Most divers take the course to learn how to dive the dry suit, not how to change seals. Do you also cover dry suit manufacturing, so your students can make their own? That'd also be doing it right, correct? If I need to know how to change seals, I'll ask a friend.

knowing the most you can about the suit and taking care of it is what the speciality course is..If you just want a basic "here it is,push this button,keep your feet down," yeah ask a non professional to work it for you..Yeah we do cover on how some manufacturers produce their suits..Its all in the outline of the course..

Back
Top Bottom