Inactive Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am guessing that was a joke! The Divemaster course will make you a FAR better diver. 100 dives in 12 weeks as a DMT makes a massive difference to your dive abilities regardless of how good a diver you are when you start.

Yes you can just pay the fees and not the insurance. If you go a year or 2 without paying the fees even, and then renew, it is not difficult. Longer than 2 years and some retraining may be required.

This is all dependent on where you do your training and if you do an internship or not. The actual course won't teach you a whole heck of a lot but you'll gain some experience on doing skills demonstration quality and assisting with classes.

When I took my DM, I didn't learn much if anything in classroom and my only diving was the skills, assisting with the classes and doing my mapping project. Was I a better diver than when I started the class? Not really, but I sure could demonstrate how to do skills while kneeling!

I am guessing that was a joke! The Divemaster course will make you a FAR better diver. 100 dives in 12 weeks as a DMT makes a massive difference to your dive abilities regardless of how good a diver you are when you start.

Yes you can just pay the fees and not the insurance. If you go a year or 2 without paying the fees even, and then renew, it is not difficult. Longer than 2 years and some retraining may be required.

Do i get anything for paying the fees besides being a member?

You learn from doing a 100 dives, it's good fun and the 'flat rate' dive package is a good deal, I guess. The DM course IMHO is not designed to make better divers though.

Do i get anything for paying the fees besides being a member?

Depends on who you ask. I've asked at the SSI HQ what I'm paying them for when they yanked up the fee yet again. I was told that I get to use the online tool and I get their support. Unless you are actually making some money by being a 'pro' it's not worth paying the fee IMHO.

IMHO the business model of SSI and PADI is that you have to pay in order to be a sales person/instructor/DM for them. It's a pretty good deal for them.

You learn from doing a 100 dives, it's good fun and the 'flat rate' dive package is a good deal, I guess. The DM course IMHO is not designed to make better divers though.

Depends on who you ask. I've asked at the SSI HQ what I'm paying them for when they yanked up the fee yet again. I was told that I get to use the online tool and I get their support. Unless you are actually making some money by being a 'pro' it's not worth paying the fee IMHO.

IMHO the business model of SSI and PADI is that you have to pay in order to be a sales person/instructor/DM for them. It's a pretty good deal for them.

I think that in the PADI case u get a magazine, sport diver i guess?

Yup, you get a digital copy of sport diver (I think? I never open that email anyway) and then the PADI Pro "magazine" that has updates and more marketing information from them.

Basically like Beanno, you're paying to be a sales person for them unless you're actively working.

I've been a PADI DM for 3 years and never worked as a DM. I did learn some new things and feel the class was worthwhile. I renew because the DM card gets me what AOW or Rescue should get me. When I show the DM card I can do any dives I want. I am moving to SDI because their annual rates are cheaper.
RichH

I've been a PADI DM for 3 years and never worked as a DM. I did learn some new things and feel the class was worthwhile. I renew because the DM card gets me what AOW or Rescue should get me. When I show the DM card I can do any dives I want. I am moving to SDI because their annual rates are cheaper.
RichH

Thanks Aguablanco1 !! can u tell both rates? sdi and padi?

I got certified as a PADI divemaster in the late 80's. Finished the program in October, and all fees were sent it. Two months later I got a "renewal letter", and had to pay all the fees once again. Would not have sent in the original fees had I known it was only good for about a month.

I renewed for two or three years afterward, but basically wasn't getting anything for the the fees I paid them. As others have mentioned, I was paying to be a "salesperson" for them.

I have been an "unofficial" divemaster for years. I plan and lead dives with my local dive buddies, and have "guided" other divers who are new to the site / area. I have not and will not be renewing my PADI divemaster membership and insurance unless I get a full time paid position at a dive resort.

When I travel on dive vacations, I take my "master scuba diver" card with me. No questions asked, and I get to do all the dives I want that are planned.

Divegoose

RichH

There is no reason for you to keep paying your dues if all you're doing is showing the card. All renewing means that PADI ok's you to work as a DM and not paying doesn't invalidate your card. You're still a certified DM even if you don't keep your dues current.

RichH
I stopped paying SSI years ago but I still have my instructor card. I can still guide people, you don't have to be a member for that.
Unless you want to certify people, I don't see a reason why I should pay a fee.

Back
Top Bottom