Inactive Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

José Teles Reis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Imagine I wanna take the Divemaster course in 2016 so in a few years i can start working in the diving industry.

Meanwhile, I don't pay my divemaster fees, since I'm not working as a Divemaster doesn't really make sense to keep up anually. What would I need in order to reactivate my Divemaster status?

Can you guys tell me what does a Divemaster (padi or SDI) need in order to stay active? Can i pay only the fees and not the insurance since I will not be doing any activities with any students or divers?

Thank you very much!

I'd just wait with the course until you need it. You don't get anything for paying the fees and the DM course itself is not gonna make you a better diver.

I'd just wait with the course until you need it. You don't get anything for paying the fees and the DM course itself is not gonna make you a better diver.
The thing is that at this time of my life I have time to do an internship and have my DM for free

You can keep paying your membership dues, but not purchase insurance, and you will officially be inactive. Start paying for insurance, you are OK to work once your PADI office reactivates you. Just don't stop paying dues.....that is much messier to get restarted.

The DM course only costs a few hundred bucks. By doing an internship you're usually paying much more. When you're not in active status you usually still have to pay a fee and you even have to pay some sort of refresher or reactivation thing to get back into active status.
SSI wants 50 Euros per year when you are not active. I don't know what PADI wants though.
BTW: Most people actually lose money when they 'work' as DM.

You can keep paying your membership dues, but not purchase insurance, and you will officially be inactive. Start paying for insurance, you are OK to work once your PADI office reactivates you. Just don't stop paying dues.....that is much messier to get restarted.

how much are the fees?

The DM course only costs a few hundred bucks. By doing an internship you're usually paying much more. When you're not in active status you usually still have to pay a fee and you even have to pay some sort of refresher or reactivation thing to get back into active status.
SSI wants 50 Euros per year when you are not active. I don't know what PADI wants though.
BTW: Most people actually lose money when they 'work' as DM.

Thanks for the info Bennno!!

I am guessing that was a joke! The Divemaster course will make you a FAR better diver. 100 dives in 12 weeks as a DMT makes a massive difference to your dive abilities regardless of how good a diver you are when you start.

Yes you can just pay the fees and not the insurance. If you go a year or 2 without paying the fees even, and then renew, it is not difficult. Longer than 2 years and some retraining may be required.

Back
Top Bottom