In Tacoma for the summer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CalgaryDF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I will be working in Tacoma for the summer and was wondering what conditions are like in the area. Also, are there any shops or dive sites that people would recommend I check out.

Well to start off there is Tacoma scuba center and his prices for service are very reasonable, as in tech diving and 02 cleaning, the nitrox-trimx fills are a bargain also,

There use to be a lighthouse diving and a underwater sports (chain dive shops).
Depending on where you are staying, there are shops in the surounding areas.

Bandito charters is the place you want to go and they will take you to all the sites that have the pnw sea-life you are looking for.

If your a comfy level with current, then there is day Island with easy access, sunrise beach with a long hill, Les Davis is also a shore dive area that is popular.
And there are plenty of shoredives all over the puget sound.

Once you get to the sites before the slacktides you will meet divers and could join them, or ask the geneal dive site info needed, if you dive solo. Pick up a copy of northwest dive news on the ferry or at terminal, there free and have alot of info needed for diving the area.

HAPPY DIVING

I suggest you also check out A2Z Scuba in Puyallup. They're right on River Road as you're coming into town from I-5 and have everything you need. They also have regular shop dives twice a week so you can get out with some of the most knowledgeable people in the area and they can show you around the best sites.

Hi all,

I will be working in Tacoma for the summer and was wondering what conditions are like in the area. Also, are there any shops or dive sites that people would recommend I check out.

Conditions in the summer can be variable, but generally low vis as the warmer water produces plankton blooms. For the newer diver, I'd try to hook up with a shop dive to someplace like Les Davis or Redondo (about 15 miles north of Tacoma) for your initial dives. There are some terrific local dives like Titlow, Sunrise, and Day Island Wall that tend to be very current-sensitive (which is what makes them so good) ... you'll want to do those with locals who know how to plan around tidal exchanges.

For shops ... Tacoma Scuba is a fantastic resource (my favored shop), but there are several options, depending on what part of town you're in. Lighthouse has a shop pretty close to downtown, Underwater Sports is in Lakewood, and A2Z is in Puyallup.

You can Google Tacoma scuba shops and come up with a bunch of information. Here's a listing that includes some reviews of different shops (no comment from me on their accuracy ... these are customer reviews).

tacoma scuba shops - Google Maps

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Calgary,

I live up on the Northend of Tacoma and am looking for someone to dive this weekend. Some place close and quick. If you are still in town, let me know. I dive for work, but am rather new to Tacoma and don't know a lot of divers here.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Calgary,

I live up on the Northend of Tacoma and am looking for someone to dive this weekend. Some place close and quick. If you are still in town, let me know. I dive for work, but am rather new to Tacoma and don't know a lot of divers here.

Thanks,

Matt

Hey Matt,
CD came an went. He spent the summer diving with us at Tacoma Scuba. Come on down and join us if you're still looking for divers. The Shop is on Center Street.

D(B)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom