In search of octo holder that actually works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question to those who have a reason to breathe two tanks empty in eg. 500 PSI steps each (sidemount, maybe independent doubles) and dive with rec divers:
Do you rig breakaway boltsnaps (o-ring) or do you just tie the boltsnap and count on (when breathing out of the necklace reg) whoever may desperately trying to tug that (to them) "octo on a boltsnap" loose to go for the reg in your mouth eventually?
In my sidemount training, I was taught to have the long hose on the right tank and a bungeed second stage on the left. I clipped off the long hose regulator when using the left tank. The clip was attached to the right D-ring with a light duty zip tie. It is strong enough to keep it in place during normal use, but weak enough to break if you yank on it. You can get a large package of them for next to nothing, so you can do it in drills to your heart's content.

In my sidemount training, I was taught to have the long hose on the right tank and a bungeed second stage on the left. I clipped off the long hose regulator when using the left tank. The clip was attached to the right D-ring with a light duty zip tie. It is strong enough to keep it in place during normal use, but weak enough to break if you yank on it. You can get a large package of them for next to nothing, so you can do it in drills to your heart's content.

I'm not sure exactly how many peeps in the Basic forum even know what you're talking about here. Boy, have we digressed...

I'm not sure exactly how many peeps in the Basic forum even know what you're talking about here. Boy, have we digressed...
I didn't realize either the thread topic or the forum--I just answered the question.

I'm a fan of the bungee necklace and use it on all my reg sets for much of the same reasons boulderjohn stated earlier. My story involves a chance to go diving unplanned so rental gear was being used. The octo was supposedly held on the shoulder strap by a snorkel keeper. Lets just say it wasn't in my usual spot or on the shoulder strap when it was needed. All turned out ok, but there was more tension and it took an extra few seconds to resolve. My wife likes hers mounted on her shoulder strap so we looked at something that would KEEP it there. She ended up getting a magnetic octo keeper that works really well. It hasn't come loose after several years of diving. While its not as inexpensive as the other options, for her it has worked really well.

This thread will be found by many divers of various levels of experience and understanding, many of which haven't considered diving yet. Years from now the search tool will be their friend. As I first started gathering knowledge I found some of the best info was from threads from many years ago and was offered by people that are no longer here but their contributions are. The OP has had many options offered in direct response to her question. Her thread has also generated many responses that she will not find helpful but others will. It is all good as long as it is respectful and kind.

I had a problem. When Apex produced a set of regulator specifically designed for doubles, I bout a pair sight unseen. I discovered they were a terrible design for doubles, and the hoses had to make a right angle turn immediately after leaving the regulator. I had bubbles form at that bend almost immediately. I eventually got rid of them and went with one of a number of regulators that have a beautiful design for doubles without that ever being their original intent.

I'm not sure which ones you are talking about (could guess fst/tek3). I have fsr first stages and they are okayish. They are not perfect but do the job. If I was to buy again I'd probably get something different. The scubapro first stages look nice.

I do find that the standard miflex hoses are not to my taste and I don't trust them. With rubber hoses I've not had a problem yet.

I'm a fan of the bungee necklace and use it on all my reg sets for much of the same reasons boulderjohn stated earlier. My story involves a chance to go diving unplanned so rental gear was being used. The octo was supposedly held on the shoulder strap by a snorkel keeper. Lets just say it wasn't in my usual spot or on the shoulder strap when it was needed. All turned out ok, but there was more tension and it took an extra few seconds to resolve. My wife likes hers mounted on her shoulder strap so we looked at something that would KEEP it there. She ended up getting a magnetic octo keeper that works really well. It hasn't come loose after several years of diving. While its not as inexpensive as the other options, for her it has worked really well.
That sounds interesting. My Osprey hydration bladder hose has that and it's handy.

Maybe that is the best solution for @Marie13. Use a small zip tie to attach a bolt snap to her octo. Clip the octo off to a D-ring. For an OOA situation, just yank the octo off the bolt snap, rather than trying to unclip.

Of course, it would be best to take a supply of zip ties to the pool and practice a few times, to make sure she can pull the octo free without TOO much force required. Not being able to get it loose could be a problem....

This thread will be found by many divers of various levels of experience and understanding, many of which haven't considered diving yet. Years from now the search tool will be their friend. As I first started gathering knowledge I found some of the best info was from threads from many years ago and was offered by people that are no longer here but their contributions are. The OP has had many options offered in direct response to her question. Her thread has also generated many responses that she will not find helpful but others will. It is all good as long as it is respectful and kind.

I don't doubt historical interest for archival purposes-I'm questioning relevance here. The Basic forum is not the right place to be discussing side-mount or trimix.

I don't doubt historical interest for archival purposes-I'm questioning relevance here. The Basic forum is not the right place to be discussing side-mount or trimix.
The person who asked the question was asking how OOA donation is done in the context of sidemount, presumably so that answer could be applied to this thread. The actual question was not about sidemount diving itself, but about alternative strategies for delivering a regulator to an OOA diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom