In Response to "a Unified Dive Industry"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, Mr. marketing guru, what is your rate for all your wisdom?

Consider the ol' chestnut "If you have to ask, you can't afford it..."

:eyebrow:

....well, based on a quote from a few posts ago....one 'hat' = $ 100, and he said he'd charge a few thousand 'hats'....so looks like a few hundred thousand $ ....:)

A fair bit of that would be out-of-pocket "pass through" costs for market research.

Not ALL of it, but a fair bit...

:eyebrow:

It's the dive shop of the future because it's going out of business.:wink:

Don't hold your breath, I'm still waiting for his video of diving in 10' seas he promised.

you know.... He never did cough up those pics of those 10' seas. (when they were really only 1-2 seas that day as shown by the NOAA buoys).

However, that was a different person than in this thread.

That was [user]greengo233[/user] and he hasn't been on since July 27th, 2009 (according to his profile).

My guess is when he couldn't substantiate his lie, he packed up his baseball and left the sand lot.

Imagine the deaths that would be racked up...

How often do deaths occur in sport climbing as compared to traditional climbing? The answer is rarely, if ever. There is a whole segment of the climbing community that has never actually climbed on real rock (but they still buy merchandise and training).

I'm not saying I want it but it does present an avenue of expansion for dive related industries. The current paradigm is that diving is a relaxing pastime that allows for people to see the fishes. This is the vision that JYC began selling back in the 1940's. At that time it was a bizarre notion but he (and others) popularized it. Now that vision is pretty well glutted and everybody is fighting over scraps. One can continue to try to recarve the same old pie or come up with a whole new vision.

One can continue to try to recarve the same old pie or come up with a whole new vision.

You're definitely on the right path there! The problem is...no one is willing to do what needs to be done to determine what that vision should/could be. HINT: It cannot be CREATED a priori by the industry.

you know.... He never did cough up those pics of those 10' seas. (when they were really only 1-2 seas that day as shown by the NOAA buoys).

However, that was a different person than in this thread.

That was [user]greengo233[/user] and he hasn't been on since July 27th, 2009 (according to his profile).

My guess is when he couldn't substantiate his lie, he packed up his baseball and left the sand lot.

No, I'm talking about the thread "being of sound mind..." Nov 22nd, 2007. I thought it was funny. Someone called BS on his claim, he said he had proof (video) that he was going to produce, he never did that I saw. Kinda blew his credibility for me.

How often do deaths occur in sport climbing as compared to traditional climbing? The answer is rarely, if ever. There is a whole segment of the climbing community that has never actually climbed on real rock (but they still buy merchandise and training).

I'm not saying I want it but it does present an avenue of expansion for dive related industries. The current paradigm is that diving is a relaxing pastime that allows for people to see the fishes. This is the vision that JYC began selling back in the 1940's. At that time it was a bizarre notion but he (and others) popularized it. Now that vision is pretty well glutted and everybody is fighting over scraps. One can continue to try to recarve the same old pie or come up with a whole new vision.

I get your point (sort of) but sport climbing isn't really about making a competitive sport out of it for the most part. It's about a potentially safer version of climbing that therefore broadens the market.

Sport climbing involves permanent (hopefully) bolted routes versus removable protection.

I think the climbing competition aspect of sport climbing is a very small part of sport climbing.

I agree with you in that there are probably ways to broaden the appeal and refine the market in diving as was done in climbing but it doesn't have to be about making a competition out of the "sport" of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom