In Pensacola for a few weeks, looking for info and maybe a dive buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcnuke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I'm in town for the next 2-3 weeks for work, but should have my weekends free. Since home is 11 hours roundtrip, going home on the weekends doesn't seem very enjoyable. Diving, on the other hand, sounds like an enjoyable way to spend some of those weekends.

So, I'm looking for recommendations on where to dive (sites, what shops/charters are best around here, etc). Keeping in mind that I just got my PADI OW cert last month so those wonderful 120-170' dives aren't really on the table for me just yet.

I'll be renting tanks and probably picking up a wetsuit while I'm here (I'm assuming a 3-5mm full wetsuit is best for these waters and I only have a shorty right now and it's a bit tight so I'm still thinking about sending it back and getting a different one). So a shop with a decent selection for "larger" guys wetsuits would be nice too.

If anyone in the area wants to come along and dive with me, that'd be great too since the only two guys I know who are also certified are hundreds of miles away right now :)

Looking around, I managed to find some diving this weekend.. I'm going to do my AOW course :D
So I'll get 5 in this weekend. Hopefully I can get some in next weekend as well, so feel free to keep any advice coming :D

In Pensacola, shop-wise Dive Pros is very good in terms of service and selection.

For charters, my preference in Pensacola is roughly: Reef Cleaner, Niuhi, Scubashack (handles High Ty'd and Wetdream)

Given your skill level, both Reef Cleaner and Wetdream run weekend 'inshore' trips targeted to beginners. While all of the Pensacola operations put a divemaster in the water, they're not usually 'guided' dives in the usual sense.

If you don't mind an hour drive over to Destin, Scubatech has a very beginner friendly operation and for $25 you will get a true guided dives with one of their divemasters. I think this is a great way to take a bit of the stress out of your 1st few true boat dives and worth the cost. They'll also help point out lots of the local sea life you might otherwise miss.

On any given weekend, I'm usually out on one of the above if the weather is nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom