In memory of me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seppo, its rhyming slang, but funnily enough the Londoners dont use it, its an Aussie thing

Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank

lol

What can be nasty enough to get kicked off the board?! Too bad I'm too lazy to look up the offending posts...

For what it's worth I have a pretty simple method of dealing with offensive posts (and a few have REALLY offended me!)

I stop reading 'em!

Ken

PS. Tom-I know Kobiashi Maru is from Star Trek, yes? Isn't that where Kirk broke the rules to beat an unbeatable scenario?

Yea Ken, Kobiashi Maru is a "no-win" scenario, from Star Trek. Kirk cheated to beat it, I can't :)

Tom

I havent been on this board very long at all wreckwriter, but even in that short amount of time, you have lent me some words of advice. I very much appreciate it.

Let me just say this though. I belong to a number of forums relating to the hobbies I have. The most active of which is a sportbike forum. From my experience, it always seems like there is a couple members that cant take any constructive crisicism, be it blunt or otherwise, or a flame here and there. Those members report the thread, then relentlessly scrutinize every response made by the so called 'offender' and report anything else that they feel is even slightly derogatory. My opinion is that if you cant take an opposite viewpoint from someone, or a slap on the wrist for lack of better words, then you shouldnt be surfing and posting on internet forums. The point is that everyone is different, thats what makes us individuals each with our own experiences and opinions. Nobody always has the correct answer or ideas, just take it in stride and use the information as you see fit.

Hope you dont have to leave because of a couple whiny members that sound like broken records.... oh, wreckwriter offended me! ..oh, wreckwriter offended me! ..oh, wreckwriter offended me! ..oh, wreckwriter offended me! :wink:

I am trained in medical procedures...I can help you...breathe...breathe deep...head between your knees...

Wreckwriter should be banned from the Board shortly after the blithering apologists who continually post their misguided political drivel that masquerades as left wing thought and who somehow manage to convert 911 into a blame game on the United States are dealt with.

I'll admit to being surprised by the tone of some of Wreckwriter's posts. I'm not surprised that he is one of the more knowledgable people on the Board. Read some of his experience posts.

The written word is one of our greatest gifts. It conveys expression to people separated by time and distance and preserves knowledge for generations yet to be. To ban someone when the words are not racial, discriminatory, hateful, violent or otherwise violative of anyone's rights is simply too extreme.

Would it help if I named to particular individuals (one in NYC who loves the Williams sisters, one in Tokyo who lives near the American Embassy) whose posts are so offensive as to cause me mental and physical distress bordering on nausea? Or are their posts acceptable because they are only insulting those of us who are proud of our country and are not afraid to show it?

I understand the limits of the First Amendment. I understand that it doesn't have any applicability to this Board. However, I also understand the free exchange of ideas is one of the things that makes this Board valuable.

There's an old saying... "Just because you can... Doesn't mean you should."

I urge the powers-that-be to reconsider any decision to ban Wreckwriter merely because some people disagree with his style. If you must take action, do so only after banning those on the other side who, in fact, started this by attempting to place the blame for 911 on the United States.

The other day I was melting lead using my old hand cranked coke fired forge.

{Coke is made by cooking coal in a smothering type of fire.}

Faster and hotter than propane or acetylene the coke fired forge can literally boil steel if you are not careful...

Anyway... what is so surprising - given the amount of heat the thing can produce - is that if you quit cranking the blower it cools down and shortly only the coke just above tuyere has any heat left in it.

And if left too long in that condition the fire goes out of all the coke and the forge gets stone cold very quickly.

Then if you crank on the blower... you get a snoot full of cold coke dust.
:D

I personally have no opinion or emotional attachment to the fate of WreckWriter.

If, however, the Board moderators decide that, in their wisdom, the purposes of the Board will be better served by discontinuing WreckWriter's tenure here, I would hope that they at least clarify the nature of the specific infraction(s).

We're all intelligent adults...let's deal with specifics so that we can reach a reasonable and intelligible solution.

Let's look at the Terms of Service (ScubaBoard Terms of Service)

Arguably, the only pertinent section is as follows:

Although the administrators and moderators of Scuba Board will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Scuba Board nor the moderators will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

OK. The first paragraph makes clear that the Regulators of this board are absolved of any responsibility associated with the content of a post...clearly, there is no need to ban WreckWriter in an effort to reduce their own liability.

Looking at the second paragraph...hateful? Obnoxious, overbearing, rude...yes, but hateful is a very strong word and I don't know that anyone could reasonably cite hateful behavior on WreckWriter's part.

OK, the second paragraph also includes the catch-all phrase otherwise violative of any laws.

Interestingly enough, the FAQ provides some insight into which kinds of laws might be applicable in this situation: Are laws regarding defamation applicable to Online activities like Forums, Chat or even email? (FAQ).

Quoting from the same source, Absolutely! If a person commits libel against you through e-mail or other online activities, the publisher, and any re-publisher, of the offensive statement can be held accountable for damages.

So the only real question that remains is whether the content of WreckWriter's posts constitute libel. Further down the page, the authorities of ScubaBoard clearly answer this question What about insults and epithets? are they defamatory?
Generally, no. Usually they are seen as outbursts of emotion, with no real substance, except to show intense dislike

Again, help educate me and all members of ScubaBoard so that we may regulate our own behavior in the future. Why the potential ban? For violation of the terms of service? If so, which part? If not for a Terms of Service violation, why is an action that can result in your being banned from the Board not included in the Terms of Service?

Again, I could not care less as to the fate of WreckWriter. I am trying to understand if, when I decided to accept the Terms of Service of ScubaBoard, I was being presented with all the rules of conduct.

Just an opinion. Commence flaming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom