In Hawai'i for one night.... dinner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parzdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are going to be traveling through Hawai'i and staying in the Waikiki Beach Walk area. We are getting in around 7 PM, leaving the next day around 3. I'm looking for recommendations on a nice place to get some local flavor for a late dinner Friday night, and something to do on Saturday morning. Would prefer to stay close, but if the Beach Walk is just a big tourist trap, I'll listen to your advice.

So what do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I assume you've seen this? - Restaurants and Dining in Waikiki Beach Walk, Oahu, Hawaii

Roy's is a (upscale) chain of sorts, and while I don't know if I'd exactly call it local flavor (depends what you mean by that) I've always had excellent meals at any I've gone to including some incarnation of the Waikiki one. (Which I think is the original?) I try to avoid chains when traveling but will make a point of going to Roy's if there's one around.

Thanks Damselfish. I'll definitely keep Roy's in mind.

I had seen that page. It is trying to sort quality from flash that is always a challenge. Just like for diving, the local (or veteran) opinion is always a great help.

I live on Maui and am only on Oahu once or twice a year. However, I'm a big fan of Dukes on the Beach and also the Cheesecake Factory. Both have offered up great meals, service and ambiance when I've been in Waikiki.

What other islands will you be visiting?

We ate at Roy's / Waikiki last night. Very nice meal - my wife and I both agreed. The macadamia crusted Opa was great as was the mixed seafood.

If you like sushi, we went to Sansei based on the recommendation of a friend. Seems to be a little more of a local place. Excellent sushi, great service, interesting rolls. We found it very hard to choose what to order - it all looked great.

California roll wrapped in smoked salmon and baked:

8ba77e91.jpg

Dragon roll (?) - spicy tuna with ahi, etc. :

2fadf4b5.jpg

Roy's is great if you're walking.

If you have a car and want to see a bit of the island I'd call for a reservation and drive out to the Crouching Lion Inn in Ka'a'awa (Windward side of O'ahu). I liked it in the old days, then it went down hill, but new management last year has brought it back to it's old quality.

Back
Top Bottom