In-between temperatures and sizes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaakka

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to these forums (and diving in general) so be nice :) I have a couple of questions:

1. I plan on doing most of my dives in waters ranging between 18 C and 24 C degrees. From what I've researched, this temperature range is in-between 5mm and 7mm wetsuit territory, so I'm in a dilemma over what to choose. I'm looking at purchasing a 'Pinnacle Tempo' suit, so I'm not sure whether to go for the 5mm (so it's more versitile in case I travel to warmer waters and just add a hooded undergarment) or just get a 7mm. Any suggestions? Is a 5mm with a seperate undergarment comparible in warmth to a 7mm?

2. With most major brands of wetsuits I pretty much lie right on the border between a 'small' and 'medium' according to each brands' size charts. I'm a tall, skinny build, so in terms of height I tend to fall in the lower end of 'medium'; though in terms of width (to put it politely) of my hips, waist, chest etc, I tend to fall on the upper end of 'small'. I'm sorry that it's a vague question, but based on what I've said, should I go for the small or medium Pinnacle Tempo suit? (the dive shops nearby to me are quite small and very limited in stock so I can't really try any out before buying).
Pinnacle's sizing chart: Male Sizing - Pinnacle Aquatics

Thanks very much for your help.
John

For that temp range I'd look at the Scubapro Scotia (might be called the Nova Scotia now.) It's a 6.5mm Semi, but the seal are excellent and barely lets any water in, which does sometimes mean you're tugging on the neck seal to avoid a painful squeeze, but that's by the way. It's incredibly warm. I've used it in 12 degree water; with than addition of a hood, all the way up to 26.

I'm a small but with the width of a medium (not fat, just broad!) and despite the excess neoprene around the stomach, as hardly any water got in through the seal there was no heat loss.

Just remember the big downfall of any semi-dry suit is there is the reduced flushing action has an unwanted side effect if you pee in it. Just a friendly heads up.

Another alternative is a 7mm hyper-stretch wetsuit. These fit a wider variety of people than normal suits and are easy to don/doff. The downside is they tend to compress more at depth than normal neoprene, so a 7mm might end up being the ideal thickness.

+1 Nova Scotia. You will not be sorry. The suit also comes with a hoodie!

For that temp range I'd look at the Scubapro Scotia (might be called the Nova Scotia now.) It's a 6.5mm Semi, but the seal are excellent and barely lets any water in, which does sometimes mean you're tugging on the neck seal to avoid a painful squeeze, but that's by the way. It's incredibly warm. I've used it in 12 degree water; with than addition of a hood, all the way up to 26.

I'm a small but with the width of a medium (not fat, just broad!) and despite the excess neoprene around the stomach, as hardly any water got in through the seal there was no heat loss.

So in general, 5mm suits won't be warm enough for the temperature range of 18 to 24 C ?? (it's about 19 C currently at the dive site - Still Winter here in Aus)

Edit: range of about 65 to 75 F degrees for the Fahrenheit folk :)

Last edited:
I used to live in Dunsborough in WA. The Temp there was 17-18 in the winter/spring pushing to 21 if you were lucky in the summer. Go a bit further south, like down in Albany (excellent diving BTW) and it drops to 16. You can just about dive a 5mm in 18 degree water. I did my first season as a DM, but by the end of the season I'd added a hood and rashie as I was getting colder and colder. Just before the end of season I switched to Scotia, and the difference was incredible. Hood was unecessary and my RMV dropped dramatically. It's amazing how much a slight chill will boost you rate of breathing.

It all depends on how cold you get. I would be wearing a 7 mm up to 22 degree water. At 16 degrees, I have that, plus a hooded vest and gloves. It is not clear to me that one suit would meet both needs.

Very true what ch28084 said. One suit really doesn't cover both ends of the range, unless you just don't get cold. I did a dive in the Bahamas in January where both the air and water temp were about 18'C. I was wearing a 1mm with a 2mm shorty and 7mm hood. I was trying crawl my whole body up in my hood for the dive. I would have been far more comfortable in a drysuit with medium to light weight thermals and a 3mm hood or 7mm hood if I had been diving for several days in a row with multiple dives each day. You can cover a broader temperature range in a drysuit with both a 3mm and 7mm hood in your gear bag and few choices for thermals than you can with a 7mm or 5mm wetsuit. Comes down to how much you want to spend, how long you would like to be in the water and how many dives you want to do each day.

Thanks guys, I understand that there is no one "perfect wetsuit" that can be used in any conditions. I'm just being picky regarding how to spend my $$$.

I think I'll go for the Scotia suit that you guys are recommending. I remember a dive instructor once say to me that he has never had anyone tell him that they are too hot in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom