in between dry and wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dori fish

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
another what to buy question. i am not going to get a drysuit for another couple of years because i am still growing and it doesn't make sense to get one and then fourmonths later replace it. so i would like to get a semidry suit. any suggestions

I don't have any experience with a true semi-dry.

The rub is that wetsuit fit is probably more size sensitive than most dry suits. If your neck grows bigger you just slice a ring off the seal, viola, bigger.

Since you are already baiting yourself for a drysuit I will offer a thought though. A Semi-dry will be painfully close in price to an entry level drysuit. Something like an Atlan or Harvey neoprene back entry or even a Bare Next-gen. Even the Whites Fusion is only a little over $1000 albeit w/o garments. The nice thing about the neoprene style is that cost wise you don't need premium inner garments for most conditions keeping the cost to dive dry low.

Another thing I have realized is that you are not married to thing. And can latter flip it to get some of the investment back. Meanwhile you will be dry as you ultimately desire.

Sometimes you need to kiss a few frogs before meeting your prince.... or so they say.:confused:

Alternatively stay with good wetsuits for now and hope for the best. What sort of conditions are you diving in?

Pete

something for dutch springs or the long island sound, i am a kid and a drysuit i buy now will be a waste b/c next year i will need to buy a new one, a semidry suit i can get for about 150-300 dollars. plus i can rent a drysuit tell i grow

There is nothing "in between dry and wet"

Dry is like pregnant: either you ARE or your AREN'T, there is no "semi"

something for dutch springs or the long island sound, i am a kid and a drysuit i buy now will be a waste b/c next year i will need to buy a new one, a semidry suit i can get for about 150-300 dollars. plus i can rent a drysuit tell i grow

I guess we need to be clear about where we're calling semi-dry. There are some wet suits with limited gasketing that get advertised as semi-dry. IMo those are just good wetsuits.

There are then a few suits out there that have drysuit grade (or nearly as good) zippers as well as true neck and wrist seals. The Mares Isotherm comes to mind. Those get pricey.

A good wetsuit should offer you plenty of diving in the season/depth range your description as "kid" suggests.

Pete

something like spectrum said, for example the scubapro 6.5 mm novascotia, or the aqualung solafx, for water between 48-68 degrees, a wetsuit like that

you will grow out of a correct sized semi-dry much faster than you will a over sized dry suit. For the semi-dry to work it still has to function on the same principles as a wetsuit. It has to be a somewhat close fit to work properly. The big advantage of the semi-dry is the seals and entry, you flood it once when the dive begins and even with a full range of motions there shouldn't be an intrusion of new cold water, allowing you to have to do less work and not heat up so much water with your body.

In cold water diving I lump semi-dry and wetsuits in the same category, if you want any real sort of thermal protection and comfort in water below 50 you go dry or go home.

If you buy a semi-dry one or two sizes too large, you will have a lot of extra water to be heating, and the seals will be more likely to allow flow with movement as few semi-drys, not even the mares isotherm have true dry suit seals, making nothing more than an over priced wetsuit.

drysuits on the other hand usually come with overly small necks and cuffs, to be trimmed to size by the diver, so they can grow with you. If right now you would take, say a mens medium, you can get a large. you can always use a crotch strap to bring up the waist, and a little duct tape or gators to tighten up the ankles, with your bc bringing in the chest. A drysuit just gives you a bit more wiggle room when it comes to growth, since a little extra space can be adjusted out, and is even needed for extra clothes.

As for types, I would suggest a sea elite neoprene drysuit, they are $600 brand new, and are sturdy enough to stand up to commercial work. A good entry lvl suit, easy to repair, and a bit more forgiving than a tri-lam or vulcanized rubber, when it comes to run ins with mussels and other sharp objects and critters. Also doesn't require much in the way of undergarments.

also drysuits tend to be a bit easier to sell on the second hand market, as they tend to receive much better care than wetsuits or semi-drys. I buy 3-4 new wetsuits every year, as I tend to tear them up working, but I still have the same 2 drysuits as when I started working.

Of course most importantly, if you do go with a drysuit, make sure you get properly trained, they are a whole different animal, in terms of care and use.

If you are interested in a Mares semi dry I have one for sale...$125 plus shipping. So it doesn't sound like an ad I won't give you my point of view.

Dori,

Provide some estimated sizing information. I have my sons old OS Systems drysuit with undies that he has outgrown. This suit has brand new seals and a set of dry gloves. I am asking $400 for it. Let me know if you are interested.

Just a thought, but the Pinnacle wet suits with the roll down collars are actually remarkably warm --in fact, the 7mm Pinnacle is the only wetsuit I've ever been in that was too warm. You can add a heat-pack and you would probably be as warm as most semi-dry suits for much less cost.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom