in a drysuit use a BCD or Backplate/wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awdemeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
I noticed when i was at the quarry that alot of drysuit divers also use a backplate and wing vs. useing a BCD and they are only using a single bottle with no pony's I was thinking about getting a BP/w system as i am also big into wreck diving and penetration. i was wondering what peoples oppinions are about switching and if it is easyer to dive a BP/W with a drysuit. I currantly dive a jacket style BCD.

For the dive it self,B/P wing or Jacketstyle BC is IMO personal preferance.
As for the wreck penatration a B/P-wing might be more streamlined.
For me,I dive drysuit and jacket BC.Works fine for me.

:popcorn:

I used a jacket BC the first time I dove with a drysuit, and I found out rather quickly that I had a fair amount of difficulty getting it to keep from riding up or shifting. That said, in my opinion, I'd sooner use a back plate and wing for drysuit diving. I like the BC for recreational dives with a wetsuit, but for wreck penetration and other dives where the 'bells and whistles' of a BC can cause problems, a BP/W setup is the way I prefer to go.

First, I am amazed that the discussion of wreck penetration is coming from divers with no training to do so, nor the experience! :blinking:

IMO diving a drysuit in cold water is one of the BEST reasons to use a BP/W. I say this because a SS plate, and STA help offset the amount of weight one will need to dive Dry.

My Hammerhead plate/STA weight about 11lbs. So that is 11lbs off my belt. This is a very effective way to dive dry, or with a heavy wetsuit. If one is using an Alum plate, and STA, it almost becomes pointless, and for single tank dives there are plenty of good back inflate BC's that will dive just as well as a BP/W.

As for a BC riding up, that is a fit issue. Attach a Crotch strap. A BP/W can do the same thing without a crotch strap.

I just find it fascinating this boards membership Obsession with the BP/W!

:popcorn:
but for wreck penetration and other dives where the 'bells and whistles' of a BC can cause problems, a BP/W setup is the way I prefer to go.

What *bells and whistles* would that be? :blinking:

If your intent is to move on to serious wreck diving or technical diving, then something that will work with doubles would be the way to go. Either a BP/W or a Transpac/W. A dry suit will work equally well with tech gear or with normal OW BC’s.

What *bells and whistles* would that be? :blinking:

Ok,let's see now,
SMB
Spool
Lights(including backup)
Spare mask
Slate/wet note's
Signal device (mirror)
Spare finstrap
Spare maskstrap ( yep they both ALLWAY"S break in water)
Oh and my Storm wistle

Ok Lot's of bell's and wistles on my BC.:D

Hey,you guy's got these on your B/P and wing also.:)

Your exposure suit, wet or dry, is to keep you warm in cold water.

Your BCD, regardless of the type, style or manufacturer is to control your bouyancy and secure your tank(s).

One is not dependant on the other. Each has its own merits and issues.

I just find it fascinating this boards membership Obsession with the BP/W!

I used to but now I just figure that the majority or regular and vocal members tend to be more experienced and passionate about diving. A large number of this group generally dives a BP/W setup.

Ok,let's see now,
SMB - In DS pocket
Spool - In DS pocket rigged to SMB
Lights(including backup) - On left/right Shoulder D-ring
Spare mask - Don't carry
Slate/wet note's - DS Pocket
Signal device (mirror) - Don't carry
Spare finstrap - Spring straps
Spare maskstrap ( yep they both ALLWAY"S break in water) - Gear bag
Oh and my Storm wistle - Attached to bungee used to hold LP inflator.

Ok Lot's of bell's and wistles on my BC.:D

Hey,you guy's got these on your B/P and wing also.:)

See above :D Most of that stuff shouldn't be dangling from the BC.

Back
Top Bottom