Important statewide survey request.. Please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCdiving Deb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
John H. Moore, the founder of a terrific San Diego website, www.divebums.com , and member of the MLPA Regional Working Group needs our help! He sent this out to his listserv and I hope we can help him in this endeavor. Please read John's request...

This message requests a response through the following webpage: http://divebums.com/contacts.html

I'm going to put together a Diver Attitudes towards Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) survey... AND I'm going to ATTEMPT to do it statewide. The survey will deal with this one topic only and will be significantly shorter than the SoCal Diver Survey I published earlier this year. While I believe that I can get sufficient response in SoCal to make publishing the survey worthwhile, I will have to work hard to get response outside of SoCal... so I'm first putting up a page for people who are likely to complete the survey to pre-register their e-mail address and county of residence. If and only if I can generate enough interest in Central and Northern California will I go ahead and try to do this statewide.

Thus I'm asking you to pre-register your e-mail address and county of residence on http://divebums.com/contacts.html -- if you are likely to complete the survey once published.

Please spread the word to other divers and dive groups you know, especially any north of Southern California.

Note to heads of dive groups with e-mail lists: this will only work if you ask your groups to pre-register now; if you say "well, I'll just sent the link to the survey out once John publishes it", then I won't get enough pre-registrations and I'll never publish the survey!
Thanks much folks,

John H. Moore

I'm in CA, and would complete the survey, but I don't provide my email address as preregistration for anything...

Its bad enough with the spammers now...heh

Or, if you like, I own my own email server and will create an alias just for this survey...

Hey Scubasean,
I can appreciate that you don't want to get spam from anyone. I don't either. If it helps to reassure you, I have been on John's divebums.com listserv for 4 or 5 months, and he has been very respectful of my privacy. I don't believe he releases anyone's email addresses to others. He is very strict with the appropriateness of posts, etc....And this is not for the listserv. It is something completely different.

This survey he is attempting to design is in the prelim stages. He needs email addresses to notify the participants once it is put together. He is trying to determine whether he can get enough reponses from Central and NorCal divers before pursuing it further.

It is probably fine to use an alias. He can tell you if it is not. The most important aspect is to tell him your county and provide an email address where he can reach you once the survey is ready for us to respond. Again, his use of your email address is repectful.

John H. Moore does good work toward educating the public about our marine ecosystems and creating enthusiasm for the dive community. I hope you will help him out!

Thanks for considering it!

kelphelper

Agree with Kelphelper... I've been on John's address list for many months and feel confident that he does not use the e-mail addresses he receives for anything but good solid information to assist us. And he does not flood your mailbox with it. I only receive messages when he has something important to say.

The recreational fishers are quite organized and well funded in this MLPA "fight." We need more representation from the non-extractive "users" of the ocean. John is trying to get "us" organized.

Too bad the fishing community doesn't seem to accept the idea that MPA's will help ensure fish stocks are available for future fishers as well. I say take the wise council of Solomon- split the nearshore 50-50%. Given that fair option, fishers should be willing to accept a mere 70-80%.

Dr. Bill

scubasean once bubbled...
I'm in CA, and would complete the survey, but I don't provide my email address as preregistration for anything...

Its bad enough with the spammers now...heh

Or, if you like, I own my own email server and will create an alias just for this survey...

Hi scubasean,

I just joined this group yesterday... so did not see kelphelpers post when originally posted. E-mail addresses are never shared, and when I ask for addresses for a particular purpose, they're never even used by me for any other purpose than as originally requested -- even if a legitimate, non-commercial, diving related purpose. And, just so that you know, everything I do related to scuba diving is non-commercial...

So no spam.

John

I'll chime in as well about John's integrity (although I hear he gets a little bit twitchy if you dangle GPS coordinates to unexplored wrecks in front of him :). I've been in the divebums list for over a year, and no spam has ever originated from him.

Alan

agstreet once bubbled...
although I hear he gets a little bit twitchy if you dangle GPS coordinates to unexplored wrecks in front of him :).

Really? Which one? Where?? :D

Actually, I do extremely little wreck diving... I just like collecting coordinates.

Now, dangle some good Point Loma Sea Cliffs coordinates in front of me... THAT'S another story entirely!

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom