IMPORTANT! Do you dive with a DAN Tag attached?

Do you dive with a DAN Tag attached?

• Always!

Votes: 53 30.6%
  • Not always or No - please describe excuse below.

Votes: 120 69.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoredivr:
The entanglement thing is a non-issue: put it in a drysuit pocket.

Or bcd pocket, if so equipped.
Or wear as a dog tag?

I don't see it as an entanglement threat, but I do like having mine very visible. We all hope that we'd be treated efficiently if hurt by the crew and others onboard, but who knows what it'll take if and when.

I have my DAN tag ziptied to my harness, that way when my body washes up on shore, people will know where to return me.

I use to keep my DAN tag on my bc, but once I started working on a boat the tag kept breaking off. Now I don't bother.

Salaam

Chris

First thing I put on my new Brigade was my DAN tag.......goes back to what our instructor taught us last year in OW as to why you should wear one....

Dog tags...more durable, cheaper, less commercialization. Have my info, how to contact the shop I work at, and my DiveAssure Number. Works for me, hopefully for any rescuers too...

jbd:
I chose the not always or no option because I don't have a DAN tag, nor am I a DAN member. Nor do I have dive specific insurance. Will I get dive insurance? Probably not. Can I afford a chamber trip or two? Again, probably not, but thats part of why I dive conservatively--protecting what meager assets I do have.:wink:

jbd

I would hope that you at least tell your OW students to get the free DAN insurance while they are taking their OW course. The instructor I'm doing my DM with always makes sure all of her students get the free DAN insurance available to them during their OW course. BTW, I'm a first year DAN member after she hit me over the head about it for 4 years. Haven't orderd my tags yet. Also like the tattoo idea.

Yup, I have mine on my BC, it stays there all the time. Had to order a new one a couple of times due to changes in phone numbers or doctors but I always have one.
It's cheap and easy, why not have it? It surely could be of assistance and it surely can't hurt.
I think it is good that they are negatively buoyant as otherwise the darn things would be floating up around my face all the time and that would irritate the daylights out of me. The way they are now I never even notice it.
It is great to think that it will never be needed (mine has not so far, hope it stays that way) but there it is in the rare chance that it is needed. I have traveled alone and gone diving with a group of people I dont know. Ya, all my info is also laminated in a page in the front of my log book but in those cases who would know to look there?
Yes I almost always dive with people I know but not always. You never know when Murphy is going to pop his ugly head out of your gear bag.

please describe excuse below

Wow. That was certainly a judgemental way to phrase a question.

I am sorry to pass this on, but something ziptied to your gear has a 95% chance of not making it to the hospital with you.

Something on your person? Maybe 40% chance of making it there with you. And an EMS responder that is "DAN aware", and that will pay attention, will get the wheels moving in the right direction anyway.

<shrugs> The brutal truth is you're reliant on the help of your buddy/friends/boat operator to communicate for you.

All the best, James

I wear the DAN tag and have for the last few years. I first bought it when my wife saw it advertised in Alert Diver and thought it was a good idea and I agreed. I like that it has all my information in one place and unless I'm uncouncious I can make sure it goes with me. For $20 it seems like a very inexpensive way to help with getting fast care if I ever need it.

Steve

They are just big and ugly. I don't wear a "911 tag" either, but I am sure someone would call. When they look for my ID, they will find the DAN info. If it's too late for that, then at least I will die looking good...or at least without the added ugliness of a Dan Tag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom